Beauty blunders

Beauty+blunders

Everyone needs to pamper and spoil themselves. Splurging on expensive products and raved-about beauty staples may sound relaxing and rejuvenating. However, some of these products have hidden chemicals that can do damage to your skin, hair and body by using them.

Because we live in a world full of advertisements, sponsorships and endorsements, it’s so easy to overlook important factors when choosing what beauty products to invest in. But it’s easier to avoid using these harmful products if you do some quick research before buying a product that you are putting directly onto the skin.

Mario Badescu Rose Water Spray

The Mario Badescu skin care brand has been around since 1967 and has become popular after celebrities like the Kardashians and beauty YouTubers have been promoting the brand. One of the most popular products used by these influencers is the Mario Badescu facial spray with aloe, herbs and rosewater. The product is said to “revitalize” skin with “dewy radiance” to “boost moisture and glow,” according to the Mario Badescu website. Although advertised as a natural spray, this spray includes many chemicals such as propylene glycol, phenoxyethanol and sodium chloride. The spray also includes the use of fragrances. Propylene glycol is a byproduct of fossil fuel and can be used as food additive. Phenoxyethanol is used as a preservative in most cosmetic products but has been linked to eczema and allergic reactions. If you need a boost of moisture with the benefits of rosewater, get a spray that is purely that. Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s offer many pure and natural rosewater sprays that can be used to tone and hydrate the face and body. Make sure that the only ingredients on the label are water and rose.

Carmex Lip Balm

Carmex lip balm has become a necessity for many people looking to heal their dry lips. Carmex is a medicated lip balm that contains menthol. This product contains carbolic acid and phenol which can dry out the lips, causing consumers to continually buy more of the product since their lips keep getting dry. The inclusion of menthol is actually attributed to cases of people becoming addicted to applying Carmex. If your lips are that cracked that you need to use a medicated lip balm, use creams and ointments that focus on healing and moisturizing. If you have cracked lips that could present a danger of becoming infected, use Neosporin or bacitracin in those areas to safely heal them. To achieve supple, soft and hydrated lips, try Aquaphor. Aquaphor is a product designed to hydrate and also treat dry skin. This cream works wonders in a short time span and stays on for up to two hours. To apply this product, first exfoliate the dry skin off of your lips with a sugar/olive oil scrub that is washed off with warm water. After, apply a generous amount of Aquaphor and go to sleep. When you wake up, you will have baby pink lips that feel brand new.

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil has been used for centuries to hydrate the skin and can be helpful to use on your body if it is not acne prone. It can also help condition damaged hair if incorporated into a natural hair mask with the addition of ingredients like honey, greek yogurt and avocado. However, using coconut oil on your face in not a good idea unless your skin is not acne prone. Coconut oil is severely comedogenic. This means that it has the highest probability to clog your pores, causing severe breakouts and irritations. A comedogenic scale measures how likely a product is to clog pores on a scale of one to four, one being no chance of clogged pores and four being the highest change of clogged pores. And coconut oil has… you guessed it… a four, according to holistichealthherbalist.com. Companies that range from drugstore brands to luxury brands still include this ingredient because coconut oil has an amazing reputation to repair and condition the skin for those whose skin has a high acne defense naturally. But for people with acne prone skin, coconut oil will only make acne worse. If you are having breakouts that aren’t caused by genetics or hormones, check the ingredients of your face products like foundations, moisturizers and sprays because most likely coconut oil could be the cause. Natural oils that are the lowest on the comedogenic scale are jojoba oil, carrot seed oil and rosehip oil, all of which offer amazing benefits to the skin to help it glow from the inside out. If you have dry or irritated skin, make sure to lightly exfoliate weekly and moisturize with a dermatologist recommended moisturizer after toning.