Spring things

Spring+things

[media-credit name=”Dev Soni” align=”alignright” width=”86″][/media-credit]Spring is in the air which means that the weather is warming up. Quinnipiac students typically enjoy hiking the Sleeping Giant when the weather is nice, but there is a lot to do besides that. Throughout the Hamden and New Haven area, there are plenty of beautiful parks and fun places to go to make springtime in Connecticut worth while.

Farmington Canal State Park Trail

Winding through both Cheshire and Hamden, the Farmington Canal State Park Trail forms a portion of the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail that traverses Connecticut from north to south, starting in Suffield and finishing in New Haven. The state park also follows the path of the historical Farmington Canal that was used from 1828 to 1847. Today, the path is a popular attraction for bicyclists, inline skaters, joggers and anyone else that wants to enjoy the scenery. This state park trail can be a nice way to get away from the stress of school work or just to enjoy nature.

Pardee Rose Garden

Starting in April, the 50 different types of roses, annuals, perennials and herbs will begin to bloom at the Pardee Rose Garden. For a budget-friendly trip off campus, the rose garden is a great choice. With no entry fee and the garden being open daily, from sunrise to sunset, this garden is just the right place to take some amazing Instagram pictures.

Brooksvale Park

Brooksvale Park is a farm-inspired park that has farm animals, a sugar shack that boils maple syrup, fields that are specially made just for recreational use, a bee apiary, hiking trails and an organic vegetable and herb garden. The Brooksvale Park is the perfect place if you want a fun-filled day outside with many different options for activities.

Edgerton Park

For a more serene experience outside or if you are not up for taking a rigorous hike, Edgerton Park is just the right place. The park is known for being a prime picnic spot and during the springtime, it hosts many concerts, festivals and other public events. You can even walk through the greenhouses and if you have questions, rangers are always around to answer them. For a more historical vibe, the original carriage house is still on the property that is now home to a horticultural library.

West Rock Ridge State Park

As another alternative to the Sleeping Giant, West Rock Ridge State Park is the perfect spot for some new scenery. With no entry fee, visitors have multiple different trails to choose from, so you can go more than just once and get to experience different views of this beautiful park. Also, for those who have mountain bikes or even horses, there are specially made trails for visitors who are not hiking.

The Space

The Space is a great venue to hear some local music. The Space loves to showcase local bands and musicians in a smaller theater that holds up to 150 people. This place is great during the springtime because there is an outdoor patio made just for socializing and there is also a café that serves meals for you food lovers. Tickets are also on the cheaper side, around 20 dollars to be able to see a singer, such as Sloan, who will perform on May 6.

Wentworth Homemade Ice Cream

Wentworth’s is a well known ice cream shop in Hamden. With the temperatures rising, you will definitely be in need of a yummy scoop of ice cream and this is the place to go. Even employees notice that starting in the spring business picks up. Wethworth’s often donates gift cards to QU fundraisers, so if you do win a gift card at a school event or just want to grab some ice cream at a homemade ice cream shop, go and enjoy the beautiful gazebo at Wentworth’s with the company of friends. The long line just shows how great the ice cream is there.