Local Hotspot: Bread & Chocolate

[media-credit id=2215 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]College students spend weeks, sometimes evenmonths at a time, away from home. During those lengthy stretches we miss our family, hometown friends, pets and all the other familiar comforts of home. However, few things about home are missed more dearly than the food.

The food found here on campus, although satisfying, is no match for a hearty and healthy home cooked meal. However, if you’re craving comfort food but the next break is still weeks away, you’re not totally out of luck.

You can get a taste of home at Bread and Chocolate, a cozy cafe tucked away on Whitney Avenue in Hamden, whose delectable meals will give even your parents’ cooking a run for its money.

Since 2005, the small bakery and cafe has been serving fresh baked bread and pastries, along with breakfast and lunch dishes, to Quinnipiac students and Hamden residents. Its menu has something for every taste, ranging from an egg sandwich on homemade ciabatta to a salad featuring apples, tangerines and dried cranberries.

As soon as you step inside the tiny bistro you’re sure to feel right at home. The warm atmosphere, coupled with the inviting staff and the enamoring smell of fresh pastries will make you forget you’re just a couple miles from campus.

No matter what you’re craving, Bread and Chocolate can likely fix you something to hit the spot. Much of their menu, both for breakfast and lunch, is designed so that customers can tailor-make their meals. For example, if it’s a sandwich you desire, you’re encouraged to build your own. Customers have the option to choose everything from the artisan bread to the condiments, assuring they get the perfect lunch each time.

Although you might not guess it from the name, Bread and Chocolate also has plenty of healthy options across their menu. At breakfast, customers can order their egg sandwiches with turkey bacon or turkey sausage if they so choose. Customers also have the option to customize an egg white omelette and stuff it with fresh ingredients like avocado, spinach or grilled vegetables.

Conversely, if you’re looking to indulge, Bread and Chocolate is still the spot for you. All of the cafe’s baked goods are made fresh daily, so the sweets are never in short supply. They offer over a dozen flavors of scones, muffins and croissants, so there’s sure to be something to satisfy every sweet tooth.

Of course, a trip to Bread and Chocolate is not complete without sampling their coffee. Their drink menu features a variety of espresso beverages, from lattes to cappuccinos, as well as hot chocolate. You can flavor your coffee with anything from vanilla to hazelnut, and they also have almond and soy milk readily available.

Next time you’re missing home and daydreaming about the next time you can sit down at your kitchen table to a scrumptious home cooked meal, don’t fret. A taste of home is much closer than you may think.