Bobcats face Clarkson and SLU in home ECAC openers

After an opening weekend where the Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey team tied Colgate 1-1 and lost to Cornell 5-3, the Bobcats (2-3-1 overall, 0-1-1 ECAC) return home to the TD Banknorth Sports Center to face off against perenial ECAC powers Clarkson and St. Lawrence this weekend.

Clarkson, Quinnipiac and St. Lawrence were picked to finish No. 1 , 2 and 3 respectively in both pre-season ECAC coach’s and media polls.

Friday, Quinnipiac plays Clarkson for the first time since the Golden Knights defeated the Bobcats in the ECAC championship game in Albany. On offense the Bobcats will have to keep an eye on Clarkson senior forwards Nick Dodge and Steve Zalewski who each have six points on the year. Between the pipes will most likely be senior David Leggio who ranks second among the conference’s goalies in winning percentage. Both Dodge and Leggio were selected by InsideCollegeHockey.com as pre-season All-Americans.

Saturday the Bobcats will host St. Lawrence. The Saints come to Hamden after a pair of losses last weekend to Dartmouth and Harvard. In their last meeting, the Bobcats blanked the Saints 4-0 in the conference semi-finals last March.

Bobcat forwards David Marshall, Bryan Leitch and Ben Nelson will look to continue their goal scoring exploits. The trio are tied for seventh in the conference with three goals each.

After one weekend of conference play, the Bobcats currently sit in 11th place in the ECAC, in front of only the Saints. Clarkson is currently at the top of the conference standings.