Lawlor leads Quinnipiac past RMU

Not even unfavorable weather conditions could derail the Quinnipiac women’s soccer team’s successful season.

The team battled poor field conditions caused by rain and strong winds en route to a 3-0 victory against Robert Morris on Friday. On Sunday, the Bobcats would play to a 0-0 tie against St. Francis (PA).

On Friday against Robert Morris, Sara Lawlor notched a pair of goals to add to her team and conference leading tally. Teammate Susan Donovan added two assists and goalkeeper Chloe Beizer only had to make two saves to earn her fifth shutout on the year.

Lawlor scored her first of the day in the 21st minute. The Dublin native got a rebound off freshman Meagan McLoughlin’s shot to put the Bobcats in front.

The Bobcats spent the first half fighting strong wind gusts blowing at them. Head coach Dave Clarke said dealing with the wind is important.

“For soccer, wind is the worst thing,” Clarke said. “It keeps weaker teams in games against better teams.”

With the wind at their back in the second half, the Bobcats increased their lead by way of two well-placed spot kicks from Donovan. In the 55th minute, Donavon drove a kick from 25 yards out and that found the head of Leisl Lissfelt for the game’s second goal.

“I was actually thinking of taking a shot,” Donovan said. “All the players were running in and luckily it hit Leisl and went in.”

Six minutes later the Bobcats put the game away for good with another Donovan free kick. This time the Irish sophomore found compatriot Lawlor who gathered her own rebound and fired home her second of the day.

On Sunday, 110 minutes wasn’t enough time decide a winner between the Bobcats and the Red Flash. Both teams had their chances to score the game winner, but neither team was able to find the back of the net.

“We lost to Wagner last year in similar conditions and similar circumstances. This year we won that game.”

-Women’s soccer head coach Dave Clarke on the win over Robert Morris

For Quinnipiac (9-2-1, 2-0-1 NEC), Beizer earned her seventh shutout of the season.

With the win and tie, the Bobcats extended their unbeaten streak to four games and remained undefeated on home turf. Despite the great start, Clarke is cautious to raise his expectations.

“We’ve been here before, so it’s too easy to jump when you have a lot of games left,” Clarke said.

Clarke recalled the team being 2-0-2 in NEC play last season when the team went on to finish 3-4-3 in conference play. The coach did say however that this year’s team is a lot different from last year’s squad.

“(This year) We have better players and more depth,” Clarke said. “We would have lost this game last year. We lost to Wagner last year in similar conditions and similar circumstances. This year we won that game.”

The Bobcats will look to extend their unbeaten streak next week when they travel to Maryland to face Mt. Saint Mary’s and New Jersey to face Monmouth.