Men’s soccer wins NEC openers

The dream season contiues to get better for the Quinnipiac men’s soccer team. With NEC wins over Sacred Heart and Fairleigh Dickinson last weekend, Quinnipiac 7-0-1 (2-0-0 NEC) remained undefeated andthe Bobcats took an early lead in the NEC standings.

In their NEC opening 1-0 win over Sacred Heart, the Bobcats were given all the Pioneers had to offer. After a scoreless first half, Danilo Schiavon assisted on a goal by star forward Graciano Brito. Brito’s shot found the back of the net with a little over 15 minutes left in the contest.

Sophomore goalkeeper Frederick Hall made nine saves to earn the shutout in the win over Sacred Heart. The Pioneers had many chances to score, but were unable to take adavntage of any of their seven corner kicks.

After the win over the Pioneers, Quinnipiac travelled to New Jersey to take on the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights on Sunday. The Bobcats got off to a slow start, but we’re able to rebound to keep their undefeated record intact.

Fairleigh Dickinson took a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute and would hold that through halftime. Schiavon got the Bobcats on the scoreboard with a goal in the 67th minute to tie the game at 1-1.

Soon after, Brito scored his second game-winning goal of the weekend and the Bobcats would preserve the 2-1 victory.

Through eight games this season, Brito has tallied a team-high 11 goals and contiues to be among the nation’s best goal scorers.

This weekend, the Bobcats will look to stay undefeated as they will travel to New Britain, Conn. take on Central Connecticut State University on Sunday.