Field hockey overmatched by in-state rivals

After a difficult 2-1 overtime loss to Rider to begin conference play, Quinnipiac (1-9, 0-1 NEC) looked to bounce back with two games against in-state rivals. On Tuesday the squad hoped to give fourth ranked UConn Huskies a run for their money. On Friday they hoped to take down Yale.

Unfortunately for the Bobcats, the Huskies and Bulldogs weren’t interested in those hopes.

On Tuesday, UConn took control of the game from the start and was able to walk away with a 7-0 victory over the Bobcats. Three days later, the Bulldogs handed the Bobcats a heart breaking 1-0 loss.

For the Bobcats, the first half of the Tuesday’s game was a struggle just to get the ball out their end, as UConn out shot them 13-0 for the first 35 minutes.

Jenna Grossman made some acrobatic saves en route to nine saves in the first half. She ended the afternoon with 15 saves before giving way to freshman Amanda DeLouise.

Quinnipiac’s first shot didn’t come until the 19 minute mark of the second half off a corner by senior Megan Dahle. She would have several strong chances by the end of the game, but couldn’t put one in.

The Bobcats ended the game with just three shots, while UConn piled up 22 shots.

In the game against Yale, the two teams played to a 0-0 tie heading into halftime. In the first half, both teams had many chances to jump on top, but strong play by Grossman and Yale goalkeeper Charlotte Goins kept the game scoreless.

In the second half, Grossman made a kick save with 26 minutes left to keep the Bobcats tied with the Bulldogs. However, with 15:26 remaining in the game Yale finally scored when Beth Raveche found Katie Cantore in front of the net for the lone goal of the game.

The Bobcats were unable to find the back of the net for the second consecutive game. Head Coach Becca Kohli wants to see an improvement in an offense that hasn’t scored more than two goals in a game this season.

“We need to work on our set plays,” Kohli said. “We need to commit to a hitter and work on that hitter for the next month.”

Next weekend the Bobcats will travel to take on NEC foes Saint Francis (Pa.) and Lock Haven.