Beizer brings Ivy League credentials to QU

In a world where Division-I recruiting is a dirty, cut-throat business, Quinnipiac goalie Chloe Beizer’s story reads much like a fairy tale.

After a three-year stay at Yale, one that saw her suffer a career-threatening ankle injury, Beizer transferred to Quinnipiac after a one-year hiatus. The transition to a blood-rival school, however, was met with much approval by her former teammates and coaches.

There was no unfinished business, just a new opportunity that’s now resurrected her soccer career. Beizer has returned to the pitch this fall and emerged into a mainstay in net for a Bobcat team that’s off to a scintillating 3-1 start.

“They (Yale teammates and coaches) really were completely understanding about it,” said the 22-year-old Beizer, who earned the shutout during Friday’s 3-0 drubbing of Delaware State.

“They were trying to figure out how they could help me (get back on the field), whether it was going to be taking a semester off and playing at Yale or whether it would be by playing somewhere else,” Beizer said.

Beizer was sidelined for the entire 2006 season. She watched as the goalkeeping duties were handed to a trio of goalies that combined for 72 saves and a goals against average of 1.33.

Prior to this, Beizer had become an instant staple in the Bulldog defensive unit. She split the job with Susan Starr during the 2005 campaign, as longtime Yale coach Rudy Meredith implemented a two-starter system.

During her last season at Yale, Beizer registered a 0.75 GAA (second in the Ivy League), a save percentage of .780 (fourth), while recording 32 saves (sixth).

Beizer helped Yale garner some national visibility that year, capturing shutouts in their Ivy League title-clinching win over Brown and blanking Central Connecticut State in the first-round of the NCAA College Cup. The team concluded the 2005 campaign with a Sweet 16 Tournament bid.

With so many good memories in the past, was it tough to fill out a transfer waiver?

“No, they knew from the moment I got hurt that I would probably want to come back and play (elsewhere),” Beizer said.

“I loved playing for Rudy, he was a really great guy and I had a lot of fun playing for him.”

Beizer even speculates that it was Meredith who called up Quinnipiac coach Dave Clarke and informed him of her decision to transfer, a move that’s unheard of on the recruiting circuit.

According to Beizer, the shift to Quinnipiac and Northeast Conference soccer has been a simple one.

“To be honest, coming here I was a little nervous because I was going to be like a 22-year-old freshman. But the girls have made it a seamless transition, they’ve acclimated me to the school and to the team and I pretty much owe it to them that I’m able to jump in here and sort of do my thing and work so well with them,” Beizer said.

It’s worked out for the best so far, as Beizer has sported a sublime 0.77 GAA during her first four games. She’s quickly filled the role as a vocal leader on a Bobcat team that features a core of young scoring threats in Amber Sidoti, Susan Donovan and Sarah Lawlor.

“I can’t shut up back there,” said Beizer of her signal-calling duties. “I’ve always played that way, just because it makes my job easier. If I see something, I can stop it before it starts. I’ll look at it just standing back there.”

The acquisition of a high profile transfer amongst other aspects has helped inject a revitalized confidence in the Bobcats.

It’s spreading like wildfire.

Though it’s still early, Clarke has shifted his gaze from playoff berth to NEC title and his thoughts resonate in senior leader Kate Ahearn.

“I don’t just want to say that we’re going to make it to the tournament, I want to win the tournament,” Ahearn said at the start of the season.

One date that Beizer’s pegged as eventful on the calendar is October 3rd, when the Bobcats trek 10 minutes down the Merritt Parkway to face Yale.

Beizer admits the game will have some extra juice for her.

“It’s going to be ridiculous,” she said. “I’ve got a lot of expectations but I’m looking forward to it, it should be fun.”