A letter from the past Quinnipiac presidents of SGA

The following is an open letter collaboratively written by the past seven Quinnipiac University Student Body Presidents. We have represented the student body to administration for the past 10 years.

To the Quinnipiac University Board of Trustees Presidential Search Committee & Quinnipiac University Community:

Over the last 30 years, we have witnessed the work of a visionary leader in President Dr. John Lahey. Our University has experienced unprecedented growth thanks to the tremendous judgment of President Lahey and the Board of Trustees. With the announcement of President Lahey’s retirement, the Board of Trustees faces an extremely important decision: who is the best candidate to be the next President of Quinnipiac University?

We, the past seven Student Body Presidents, know the importance of this decision to the University. While we have all graduated and moved away from Hamden, we still feel as if we are a part of the Quinnipiac community. Throughout the past decade, we have had the privilege of representing thousands of Quinnipiac University students, serving as their chief advocate to President Lahey and the Board of Trustees. We strongly urge the Board of Trustees to appoint Dr. Mark Thompson to be the next President of Quinnipiac University.

We have experienced Dr. Mark Thompson in his varied roles in our time on campus. From Dean of the School of Business to Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs to his current role, Executive Vice President & Provost. Working with Mark, we have found him to be a terrific administrator, who has outstanding moral character, tireless work ethic and cares deeply for all Quinnipiac students. We all agreed that Mark is someone who works extremely hard to improve and evolve himself and Quinnipiac University. Since 1998, Mark has been tirelessly devoted to our University. Even while holding the aforementioned administrative and leadership positions, Mark has been a professor of an Economics course each year. Mark is grounded and devoted to the first of the Quinnipiac’s core values: providing high quality academic programs.

Dr. Mark Thompson will have a unique perspective as President. Mark is a professor, an administrator and employee, but even more importantly – a parent. Both of Mark’s daughters, Elizabeth and Kathryn, are Bobcats. Elizabeth is a graduate of the Class of 2016 and Kathryn is a senior amongst the Class of 2018. Mark is in a unique position where he knows the University inside and out from an administrative perspective, but also as a parent who has seen how the University can shape his two children. As a professor, an administrator and employee, and a parent, is it is clear Dr. Thompson is fully invested in Quinnipiac University.

Over the last four years as Executive Vice President & Provost, Dr. Thompson has reported to President Lahey and been directly responsible for the university departments of Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Athletics & Recreation, Information Technology and Public Safety. We have personally witnessed Mark succeed greatly in his role being directly responsible for the vast majority of university operations. It is our belief Dr. Mark Thompson is ready for the top leadership role at our university – President.

Dr. Thompson has exhibited the emotional intelligence, intellect, and courage necessary to deal with difficult situations on campus head on. In 2014, we witnessed students speak up in public forums about racial discrimination. Those students were immediately and personally invited by Mark to have an open discussion with him about race and discrimination. The continued evolution of Quinnipiac University will demand a forward-thinking and proven leader like Dr. Thompson.

Dr. Mark Thompson is ideally qualified and uniquely suited to be President of Quinnipiac University. Mark has been an imperative part of the growth of our University since 1998. If he is willing, we are confident Quinnipiac University will continue to improve greatly under Mark’s leadership and guidance. Mark is a dynamic administrator, a faithful Bobcat and an outstanding, charismatic, thoughtful person. We hope you see him fit to lead our University.

On behalf of the thousands students we have represented to the Board of Trustees, we strongly urge you to appoint Dr. Mark Thompson to be the next President of Quinnipiac University.

Faithfully yours,

The Quinnipiac University Student Body Presidents from 2008 – 2017:

Joseph Mullaney, 2016 – 2017
Jonathan Atkin, 2015 – 2016
Mostafa Elhaggar, 2014 – 2015
Matt Desilets, 2013 – 2014
Benjamin Cloutier, 2011 – 2013
Lou Venturelli, 2009 – 2011
Sean Geary, 2008 – 2009