From TD Banknorth to Toronto: Cashman inks NHL contract

The season might be over for the Quinnipiac men’s hockey team, but one player isn’t finished with hockey for the season. Senior defenseman Reid Cashman became the third Quinnipiac player to sign a National Hockey League contract when he signed a one-year, entry-level agreement with the Toronto Maple Leafs last week.

Cashman made his professional debut Sunday with the Maple Leafs’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Toronto Marlies. It shouldn’t come as a big surprise that he picked up his first professional point with an assist on the Marlies fifth goal of the game, which they won 5-3 at home over Grand Rapids.

Cashman completed his Quinnipiac career as the program’s all-time leader in assists with 125. He led all Division I defensemen in the nation this season in assists (38) and points (41).

For the second straight year, he was named to the First-Team All-ECACHL team. In addition, Cashman was named as a finalist for 2007 Walter Brown Award, which is given annually to the best American-born college hockey player in New England.

As a sophomore, Cashman led all Atlantic Hockey players in scoring with 45 points (13 goals, 32 assists) to become the first defenseman in 18 years to lead a Division I conference in scoring. He was named a finalist that season for the Hobey Baker Award, which is presented annually to the best overall player in Division I hockey. It marked just the third time that a player from Atlantic Hockey or the CHA, the two weakest conferences in Division I men’s hockey, had been named a finalist for the prestigious award.

Cashman is also Quinnipiac’s all-time leader in games played with 151. He ranks seventh all-time with 148 points and is just the 16th Division I defenseman to register 40 or more points in each of his final three seasons.

The other two Quinnipiac players to sign NHL contracts were both goaltenders. Justin Eddy signed with the Washington Capitals in 2004 and Jamie Holden signed with the San Jose Sharks in 2005. Neither has played in the NHL, though both have seen action in the AHL.

Cashman is expected to complete his academic work toward a sociology degree after the Marlies season ends in mid-April.