Quinnipiac field hockey shutout by Holy Cross

The Quinnipiac women’s field hockey team (0-4) is still searching for its first win after a 2-0 loss to the Holy Cross Crusaders (1-2) at home on Sunday afternoon.

[media-credit id=2182 align=”alignright” width=”300″][/media-credit]The Quinnipiac Field Hockey Turf Complex saw its worst conditions yet in its young history, as a downpour lasted the entirety of the game.

After a scoreless first half that saw the Bobcats attempt four penalty corners, the Crusaders struck first when senior forward Maureen Connolly scored on a shot from the left to the far post just three minutes into the second half.

Connolly would get another in the back of the net, but the goal was negated due to a Holy Cross foul before the shot with 15:53 remaining.

The Crusaders would get that second goal back a few minutes later when senior defenseman Casey Considine scored with 10:44 remaining in the game. Freshman midfielder Kate O’Donnell was credited with the assist.

“Holy Cross is a very determined program,” Quinnipiac head coach Becca Main said. (They have) made significant strides over the last two years.”

Even though the Crusaders had 11 total shot attempts, only four were shots on goal.

On the other end, Holy Cross sophomore goalkeeper Marcia Laplante had 11 saves in her shutout performance compared to Quinnipiac’s sophomore goalkeeper Livy Golini’s two saves.

“We needed better effort today,” Main said. “We struggled to find a connection from one line to another and we saw some of our top players struggle to compete against Holy Cross.”

Sunday’s performance adds to the scoring struggles the Bobcats have faced in the new season, as they’ve only scored three goals in four games.

“We’re very disappointed in our performance today and we plan to prepare better and pay more attention to the basics this week,” Main said.

Seniors Dayna Barlow, Lauren Belskie and Michelle Federico led the Bobcats in shots on goal with two each.

The Bobcats will play next on Friday when they host the Yale Bulldogs at 3 p.m.