Baseball team captures City Series title

The Quinnipiac baseball team defeated Yale, 19-6 at the Yale Bowl on Saturday to take the New Haven City Series Championship.

Quinnipiac, the University of New Haven, Yale and Southern Connecticut State University were the four teams that made up the series. On Friday, Quinnipiac defeated New Haven which sent them to the championship game against Yale.

Eric Weber started for the Bobcats and thanks to a combination of poor defense by the Bulldogs and explosive offense from the Bobcats, Quinnipiac went on to pick up the easy victory.

Quinnipiac was able to get its leadoff hitter on in the first three innings and score in all three frames. First baseman Pete Kummerfeldt got the fireworks started early with a two- run homer to deep right field. But Yale responded by scoring two runs in both the second and third innings.

Weber got himself into early jams that he couldn’t escape as Yale was able to put together run-scoring singles in the first couple of innings to tie the game. Quinnipiac knocked Yale starting pitcher Brandon Josselyn from the game in the third inning, but no one from the Bulldog bullpen could silence the Bobcat bats. Quinnipiac played very aggressive all game long, using the hit and run and being very aggressive on the base paths.

Weber was removed from the game in the third inning when he could not get out of yet another jam. Sophomore Tyler Brett was brought in for relief in the third and quickly worked out of it. The Bobcats continued to torture the Bulldog bullpen as they scored two more runs in the fifth and three in the sixth. The entire Bobcat lineup had a hand in the scoring but the main stars of the game were third baseman John Delaney, who was a triple shy of the cycle, and center fielder Tim Binkoski, who went 5-for-6 with six RBIs, garnering series MVP. Shortstop Wilson Matos went 4-for-6 with 2 RBIs and played solid defense.

The Bobcats brought sophomore Joe Duffy into the game in the seventh for relief and he did not allow a run. After the game, the Bobcats gathered in the middle of the field to accept their trophy and congratulate each other.

“It feels good to win in any tournament,” freshman Brian Monack said. “It was good to beat a team like Yale. It was very important to us.”

Head coach Dan Gooley was very proud of his team’s play in the series.

“Any time you win in a tournament you’re thrilled,” he said. “We played well and our MVP Tim was amazing.”

Gooley was also very pleased with the way his bullpen settled things down.

“Our bullpen was awesome today. They completely shut down the opposition,” he said.