Ahearn’s goal propels soccer past RMU in NEC opener

The Quinnipiac women’s soccer team has opened its season with a sparkling 5-2 record, and with its conference schedule commencing at Robert Morris last Friday, the ‘Cats only looked to build on that mark.

Junior defender Kate Ahearn and the Bobcats delivered that crucial win over the Colonials as Ahearn tallied the game’s only goal. With the win, the Bobcats improved to 6-2, while the Colonials dropped to 4-6. It was Robert Morris’ their first home loss this season.

Ahearn’s goal came in the 42nd minute when Kate Lissfelt crossed the ball into the six yard box to a wide open Ahearn. She booted the ball into the back of the empty net to give the Bobcats all the offense they needed on the day. Also credited with the assist was freshman Justine Lombardi.

It was Ahearn’s second goal of the season. Her other came against St. Peter’s College, also in a 1-0 victory. Head coach Dave Clarke noticed Ahearn’s strong play.

“Kate played brilliantly on defense and scored a goal,” Clarke said. “You can’t ask for more than that.”

Along with scoring the goal, Ahearn helped anchor a defense that held Robert Morris to five shots, only two of which came in the second half. Those shots both came from outside of 30 yards. The shutout was the Bobcats fourth of the season and through eight games the team has only surrendered five goals.

“Our back four were absolutely tremendous,” Clarke said. “They gave us another clean sheet.”

In helping to cement the victory, senior goalkeeper Sarah Lusto made three saves and continued her solid play in net for the Bobcats.

Going against the norm this year, the Bobcats have established a better record away from the friendly confines of their home field. So far they have posted a 2-2 record at home, while they have gone 4-0 on the road.

“It was a hard-fought win and a very, very competitive game against a physical team,” Clarke said. “It’s what I’d call a very professional job built on hard work, commitment, and team effort.”

This week the Bobcats will be back in action at home against NJIT, Monmouth, and Mount. St. Mary’s. NJIT will be in Hamden on Wednesday while conference foes Monmouth and MSM come to town on Friday and Sunday respectively.