Time flies, don’t let it pass by you

I remember my first day of move-in. It was August 2012, I had just gotten my Q-Card, was all moved into my dorm in Commons and excited to get my college life rolling.

Fast forward almost four years later and I am starting to pack up my things for move out in a few weeks and putting a close on my time as an undergrad here at Quinnipiac University. As I prepare to leave, I just can’t help but wonder, where did the time go?

It all seemed like a blur. Freshman year came and went, sophomore year blew by, next thing I know I’m a junior living on York Hill. That’s when I knew that time was going.

As a junior, I figured out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life; that’s when I realized I wanted to be a journalist. I wish I would have known earlier during my time as an undergrad. Then again, there are a lot of things I wish I did as an undergrad.

The biggest regret I made was not getting involved and taking advantage of everything our school has to offer during my freshman year. I was caught up in literally going to class and back to my room, playing video games or just going through the motions every day for both semesters.

Sophomore year brought the same endeavors and nothing changed until I realized this wasn’t right.

The reason people go to college is to further their education, realize what they want to do for the rest of their lives and to live out their best years before it is time to become adults in the world.

Junior year was the year I realized the difference between being alive and living. I was alive but I wasn’t living life to the fullest.

That’s when I decided to take advantage of what Quinnipiac had to offer. I joined multiple student media organizations, joined cultural clubs and eventually gained leadership positions within both. Both opened up more opportunities for me outside of school such as internships and job offers.

Junior and senior year I felt pressed to participate because I was felt like I was behind everyone else who had been doing this for years.

So this is for the freshmen and sophomores of Quinnipiac: find your niche and get involved—you won’t regret it. You will only go so far as your attitude and effort will take you.

And to the juniors: it is never too late to get involved. Don’t let time pass you by, get involved and pad those resumes.

To my seniors: if you’re reading this, it’s too late. Graduation is next month so instead of looking to get involved, start looking to get a job.

Signed,

A person who is alive and living.