Softball falls in doubleheader to Monmouth

Quinnipiac softball opened up Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference play on Saturday with two losses to the Monmouth Hawks in a doubleheader by the scores of 3-0 and 8-3 at the QU Softball Field in Hamden.

The first game was settled in extra innings after neither team scored until Monmouth rallied in the top of the ninth, posting three runs.

[media-credit name=”Jordan Novack” align=”alignright” width=”231″]DSC_0552[/media-credit]

The first run came off a solo home run to right center by Monmouth’s Jill Freese. Monmouth’s lead was capped off by a two run homer over the left field wall by Monmouth’s Katie Baron.

Despite their efforts, the Bobcats could not make up the deficit. Quinnipiac head coach Jill Karwoski felt that offense was the missing link for the Bobcats.

“Our defense was spot on, we just couldn’t get that key hit,” Karwoski said. “You can’t defend a home run so kudos to their hitters for that clutch hitting.”

Bobcats’ starting pitcher Sydney Robey pitched eight scoreless innings for the Bobcats before allowing all three runs in the ninth.

Robey allowed 10 hits in total, walking four batters, striking out one and picking up the loss before Kendall Brundrett took the mound to relieve her for the final two outs of the game. Robey’s record now stands at 4-9.

Pitcher Amanda Riley performed well for Monmouth, picking up the shutout win in 8 ⅓ innings. Riley saw her record improve to 7-2 after striking out 13 batters. She gave up four hits and four walks in total.

Riley was relieved in the bottom of the ninth while Monmouth held a 3-0 lead following two walks. However, Sydney Underhill picked up the last two outs to seal Monmouth’s victory.

To Karwoski, offense was not only an issue for the Bobcats in the first game but in the second as well.

“It takes defense and offense to have a complete game and when you don’t have one of those key components, that’s the result,” Karwoski said.

Casey Herzog started the second game for the Bobcats. However, she was relieved by Kendall Brundrett after giving up seven runs in 2 ⅔ innings. Her loss in Saturday’s second game brought her record to 7-8.

Brundrett was solid in relief for the Bobcats allowing one run and five hits; earning one strikeout through 4 ⅓ innings.

Karwoski was impressed with Brundrett’s pitching in relief.

“She got us out of a couple good pickles so [her success was] good to see for later in our season,” Karwoski said.

For Monmouth, Sydney Underhill, who closed out the first game, took the mound once again to start game two of the series.

Underhill pitched for 4 ⅓ innings in the second game where she gave up seven hits and three runs, although only two of the runs were scored against her were earned runs.

Amanda Riley closed out the game for the Hawks, allowing zero runs across 2 ⅔ innings.

Monmouth earned an 8-0 lead after the top of the third inning of game two. However, Karwoski was proud of the fact that her team scored the last three runs and shut out Monmouth for the remainder of the game.

“It says a lot. There’s a lot of fight in this team,” Karwoski said. “We’ve got to figure out how to close out games, and how to get those key runs.”

But aside from that, Karwoski still felt that the Bobcats could draw many positives from the game.

“It’s our first MAAC game so we’ve got plenty left. The top six go to the tournament so there are plenty of games left for us.”

The Bobcats will now prep to host the Yale Bulldogs for a two game series in Hamden on Wednesday.