Underrated TV Shows

Now that midterms are officially in full swing, it’s time for a little TV procrastination. If you are already caught up on “Game of Thrones,” “The Walking Dead” and “Scandal,” you may not know what to watch next. Luckily for you, we’ve found some of the best underrated shows that are guaranteed to keep you glued to the screen. –J. Perkins

[media-credit name=”卡文 迪許 From Flickr” align=”alignright” width=”322″]卡文 迪許 From Flickr for Sense8[/media-credit]

Sense8
Seasons: 1
Network: Netflix
Watch if you like: Diverse casts and complex plots

If you spent any time on Tumblr last summer you probably saw people gushing over this show about eight people who develop a telepathic connection. Viewers watch the “sensates,” as they are called, understand their power and what this possibly dangerous connection means. Some have complained that the show is too confusing or too slow, but the characters are compelling and relatable, causing viewers to whip through the show in a few days. It is nearly impossible to pick a favorite character because each one is so loveable and unique. Most importantly, the show has one of the most diverse casts on television, with persons of color and LGBT representation. Plus, “Lost’s” Naveen Andrews and “Doctor Who’s” Freema Agyeman have supporting roles in the drama, so you can fangirl/fanboy over seeing actors from some of your favorite shows.

[media-credit name=”Screenshot courtesy of YouTube” align=”alignright” width=”324″]UnReal Youtube[/media-credit]

UnReal
Seasons: 1
Network: Lifetime
Watch if you like: The Bachelor, similar reality TV shows or making fun of reality TV shows

I know what you’re thinking: “Lifetime? No way am I watching a show on Lifetime.” But with “UnReal,” Lifetime pulled off one of the most real shows of last summer. The fictional show follows the producers and cast on the set of “Everlasting,” a reality TV show nearly identical to ABC’s “The Bachelor.” “UnReal” exposes how fake reality TV can be as the producers manipulate the cast into doing terrible things, just to make good television. Yet, even when the characters (minor spoilers) switch out a woman’s medication or exploit the grief of someone whose father just died, something still makes you root for the characters. Not to mention, the show stars the forever beautiful Freddie Stroma (AKA Cormac McLaggen in “Harry Potter”), so, if you like guys, there’s plenty of eye candy for you here.  

[media-credit name=”Screenshot courtesy of YouTube” align=”alignright” width=”383″]The 100 YouTube[/media-credit]

The 100
Seasons: Currently on season 3
Network: CW
Watch if you like: Strong female characters, space, post-apocalyptic worlds  

Based on the book series by Kass Morgan, “The 100” tells the story of 100 juvenile delinquents who are sent down from space to earth to see if it is habitable after a nuclear accident (supposedly) destroyed the planet 97 years ago. The premise creates a perfect mix of William Golding’s “Lord of the Flies” and ABC’s “Lost.” (Henry Ian Cusick stars in the show bringing in another “Lost” connection.) Admittedly, the beginning of season one is not that strong, so if you start watching this show and aren’t feeling it, hold on for the first few episodes. Once you hit the fourth episode, a killer cliffhanger will leave you hooked. “The 100” is not afraid to pull the punches. There are character deaths and plot twists that would make the “Game of Thrones” writers impressed. In fact, “The 100” may be the best television show currently on air, besides “Game of Thrones.” Yet, it’s the characters, especially the females, who make the show so special. The girls on this show are intelligent and kick butt, but also have flaws and complexities.