Support Greek life

There are many events on campus for all the different philanthropies through Greek organizations. At these events, the majority of people who come or participate are from other Greek organizations. We do this because, not only are we all in Greek life, but as a community we all support each other in hopes that others will support us in return. It also allows other Greek organizations to get involved in helping causes other than what their chapters support.

Although there are many Greeks at these events, you do not need to be in a Greek organization to go. Some of you may be thinking, “Well I know that.” Well, if you do know that, then why don’t you come?

These events donate all the proceeds to some wonderful causes, and isn’t that something you want to be a part of, even in a small way? The events are usually some kind of game or activity that anyone can participate in. Think about QTHON for a second, an event that isn’t tied to one Greek organization. While that event is much bigger, students were able to raise $115,685.13 with the entire university’s help. If more people outside of Greek life came to smaller philanthropy events, imagine how many more would be going to these great causes.

At Kappa Delta’s Shamrock the Rope event this past Sunday, the sorority had 46 teams sign up, but only three of those were non-Greek affiliated teams, according to Kappa Delta. This made up 6.5 percent of the teams and they were all club sports teams, because it was an athletic type competition and they wanted to win. Now I understand that coming to the events might be intimidating if you’re not in a sorority or fraternity because almost everyone else is. But every Greek organization would love if more unaffiliated members of the Quinnipiac community came to show their support and help raise money for a good cause.

Not only should you come to these events to help these great organizations to raise money, you should come to make the most of your college experience. Who knows, you could meet your future husband, or your best friend just by going to an event for a few hours. When you look back at your college experience, do you want to remember it as sitting in your room watching hours of Netflix? Or do you want to remember all the times you had going to all the events on campus and meeting as many people as possible?

If you’re interested in attending these events for whatever reason, just get a group of your friends or roommates to do it with you. It’s a great way to do something on either a boring weeknight or a Sunday, and you might even find what you’re passionate about.

If the philanthropy events affect your major or what you want to do with your life, it’s even something you can talk about in job interviews. It’s a way for you to show employees what you’ve done even though you are not directly involved in the organization. The interviewer will get to see how passionate you are about whatever it is.

Going to philanthropy events isn’t just about hanging out with your friends, or getting great Instagram pictures. It’s about making a difference. If you are not in Greek life, and thinking about coming to one of the next philanthropy events that interests you, get some friends and go. You’ll be helping a great cause and have fun while doing it.