Golf finishes third at Yale Spring Opener

The Quinnipiac University men’s golf team was happy to play close to home in New Haven and they made the best of that advantage.

The team shot a 306 for a third place finish at the Yale Spring Opener on April 9. Rain shortened the tournament to one day.

Quinnipiac finished one shot behind Dartmouth and four shots behind first-place Oklahoma Christian University.

Freshman Andy Feehan posted the Bobcats leading score of 75. That score tied him for sixth among individuals at the match.

“I felt great about it,” Feehan said.

The team arrived at Yale hoping for a top five finish. They were pleased to finish in the top three.

Their effort bested Yale, UConn, Brown and Binghamton among other standout teams.

“It was definitely a good start,” Quinnipiac head coach Todd Howes said.

The Bobcats’ strong efforts came despite very difficult conditions at the rain-shortened event. Howes felt his team adjusted to the conditions better than most.

“Four good scores like that at Yale, your going to be successful especially in those conditions,” said Howes.

The Bobcats were able to finish strongly on the final hole.

“Three of the five guys birdied the last hole, which is a tough par three,” Howes said.

All five members of the Quinnipiac team which played at Yale scored strongly. Sophomore Kyle Chumas and junior Steve Velardi each scored just a shot behind Feehan at 76 to tie for eighth individually.

Freshman Ian O’Connor shot 79 and senior Craig Cyr finished with an 81.

This solid showing comes after the Bobcats scored well at both the St. Thomas Aquinas Invitational and the Monmouth University Golf invitational.

The team finished ninth of 16 teams at the New England Division I championships last weekend. They shot a combined score of 607. Cyr finished in a tie for third individually with a score of 143.

The team will next compete at the URI Northeast Invitational in Portsmouth, R.I. on April 29 and 30. They will then travel to Disney World for the NEC Championships on May 6 and 7.