Women’s basketball tops Niagara

Womens basketball tops Niagara

Quinnipiac women’s basketball (15-7, 10-3) needed to overcome an early obstacle to win it’s 10th-straight game 70-52 on Sunday afternoon at home against the Niagara Purple Eagles (6-17, 4-10).

During the run the Bobcats forced eight Purple Eagle turnovers. Quinnipiac head coach Tricia Fabbri thought that was a pivotal part of the game.

“I think the defense set the tone,” Fabbri said. “Being able to get into an offensive flow off the defensive has really been a real key to our success all year.

The Bobcats had five different players score during the 19-0 run. Freshman forward Aryn McClure had seven points during the run and led all scorers with 18 points for the day. McClure didn’t want the game to affect her mentally.

“I think I became more aggressive in the second half and not focused on how many misses I had,” McClure said.

Quinnipiac guard Carly Fabbri had four points and led all players with seven assists. Fabbri believes that things are all clicking for the Bobcats right now.

“We are always looking to get the easier shot, the better shot,” Fabbri said. “If we look to attack it’s going to get our teammates better shots.”

The Bobcats’ defense was a huge part from the second quarter until the end of the game. The Bobcats forced 22 turnovers in the last three quarters and held the Purple Eagles to shooting 11-42 (26 %).

The Bobcats next game is at home against the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference leading Iona Gaels (16-9, 12-2) which may determine who will be the MAAC regular season champion and who will be the one seed in the MAAC tournament.