Men’s basketball falls to Monmouth

Men’s basketball falls to Monmouth

With Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference leading Monmouth (15-5, 7-2 MAAC) in town, Quinnipiac men’s basketball (5-12, 2-6 MAAC) lost its fifth straight game on Thursday night at Lender Court, falling to the Hawks 66-51.

[media-credit id=1989 align=”alignright” width=”300″]DSC_0165[/media-credit]

From early on, the Bobcats offense struggled to get in a good rhythm, shooting 6-for-40 in the first half (15%). In addition to their shooting struggles, the Bobcats also turned the ball over seven times in the first half. Despite these struggles, the Bobcats would play solid defense to stay in the game, only trailing the Hawks 27-20 after the first half.

Monmouth’s Justin Robinson, the MAAC’s leading scorer, was held to only one point in the first half and 15 in total.

Quinnipiac head coach Tom Moore gave James Ford Jr., Danny Harris and Ayron Hutton credit for forcing Robinson off his game.

“We just tried to limit his chances to go off at the end of the shot clock, because that is when he is lethal,” Moore said. “When he’s got the ball screens and an open court he can pull the ball on a string and put you on your heels and get you back pretty good.”

Quinnipiac cut the deficit to two points to begin the beginning of the second half, but Monmouth responded with a 13-2 run to keep its lead safe.

Following tonight’s loss the Bobcats are now 5-13 on the season, and 2-7 in conference play. Quinnipiac will look to get back on track Saturday, as they now prepare to host the Niagara Purple Eagles (5-16, 3-7 MAAC). Tip-off is set for 2 p.m.

[twitter-follow username=”JordanNovack” scheme=”dark”]