Double the pleasure for men’s lax

The Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse team got to celebrate the thrill of an overtime win twice in less than five minutes Saturday afternoon. The Bobcats appeared to have scored the game-winning goal at the end of the first overtime, but the officials waved the goal off, ruling that time had expired before the ball went in the net.

There was no controversy surround Sean McBride’s goal in double overtime, however. Quinnipiac’s leading scorer netted his second goal of the game 1:10 into the second overtime as the Bobcats defeated Bellarmine, 9-8.

McBride fired a shot from the left wing through Bellarmine goalie J.C. Hutchins’ legs for his 16th goal of the season to complete the comeback for Quinnipiac (5-2, 0-1 GWLL), which trailed 8-2 at halftime.

“I was supposed to bring it up and pass it back to Eric Trama.but his man stayed with him as he went through,” McBride said. “I got the ball, saw time and space and I just let it rip.”

With time winding down in the first overtime, Quinnipiac raced down the field with the ball. Trama and Tucker Prudden ended up in front of the Bellarmine net with only one defender back. Prudden took a pass from Trama and fired a bouncer past Hutchins.

The Bobcats spilled on to the field to celebrate the goal, unaware that the goal was being called off.

“It was devastating. I thought the game was over”, McBride said. “It was an emotional rollercoaster to say the least.”

With less than two minutes left in the fourth quarter, Quinnipiac was still trailing by three goals. But the Bobcats quickly took advantage of a couple Bellarmine penalties, with McBride scoring with 1:50 left to play and Prudden adding another goal 22 seconds later.

Then, with 33 seconds left, Trama tied the game up at 8 with his third goal of the afternoon. Trama took a pass from McBride and fired a shot from the left side of the net to force overtime.

“The defense didn’t let (Bellarmine’s) offense score one goal in the second half, so we pretty much owe the whole game to them,” McBride.

The Bobcats took their first lead of the game 2:35 into the second quarter, but the lead didn’t last long. Bellarmine answered 13 seconds later and went on to score six more goals in the quarter, including three in a span of 31 seconds.

Saturday’s game was the first ever meeting between the two schools, but they’ll become familiar with one another during future seasons as Bellarmine will join Quinnipiac in the Great Western Lacrosse League next year.

Quinnipiac travels to Colorado this weekend for a pair of GWLL games. The Bobcats play Friday at Air Force and Sunday at Denver. They open a three-game homestand next Wednesday at 4 p.m. against Hartford.