‘Spring Awakening’ explores issues of sexuality on stage

The cast of ‘Spring Awakening’ will perform four times this weekend

Quinnipiac’s Theater for Community takes the Buckman stage once again with a musical adaptation of Frank Wedekind’s “Spring Awakening.” Set in 19th century Germany, the play focuses on a sexually oppressive culture and its erotic fantasies.

The play follows school children who are going through puberty and experimenting with their sexuality. The themes in the show can be seen as controversial. The characters are introduced to the audience at 14 and are facing issues such as sexual abuse, rape, homosexuality, suicide and abortion. When the play originally premiered on Broadway, it earned eight Tony Awards, according to SpringAwakeningTheMusical.com.

The cast features junior Olivia Bartolomei as Wendla, junior Aidan Wright as Melchior Gabor, sophomore Ryan Sheehan as Moritz, freshman Gillian Schuldiner as Ilse, sophomore Liam Richards as Georg, junior Alex DeNoncour as Hanschen, senior John Patrick Hogan III as Otto, sophomore Louis Napolitano as Ernst, senior Bailey Malone Kircher as Thea, freshman Carleigh Peterson as Anna, senior Yara Farahmand as Martha, junior Kaitlin Green as Elena, junior Jennifer Dupre as Gretel, freshman Jenna Gallagher as Adult Woman and senior Gerard J. Lisella as Adult Man.

The cast and crew has been rehearsing since mid-September, according to Bartolomei.

“[Wendla] is such an interesting character,” Bartolomei said. “Because of that it’s a very emotionally draining role.”

Bartolomei has been performing for Theatre for Community since her freshman year.

Ashley DiFranza is working alongside Noble as the associate director and production coordinator, with senior Lauren Manna as the set designer and Emily Seibert as the lighting designer. Junior Cece Fanning is the stage manager, while senior Clare Michalak is the assistant stage manager.

“Spring Awakening” will run Nov. 12—15. Curtain time is 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 12—14 and 2 p.m. on Nov. 15. Tickets are $10 for students and senior citizens and $15 for general admission. To purchase tickets, head to browpapertickets.com.