Field hockey downs Bryant

Quinnipiac field hockey shut out the Bryant Bulldogs 4-0 on Friday afternoon in it’s MAAC opener at the QU Soccer Field.

With the win, the Bobcats improve to 4-8 while the Bulldogs fall to 2-10.

“We peaked at the right time,” head coach Becca Main said. “To leave the game with a 4-0 shutout…it was just a joy.”

The win for the Bobcats comes after a tough out-of-conference schedule for the first month of the season. Main believed that the tough schedule benefited the team.

“I’m very, very pleased with playing such a hard schedule in September and seeing it pay off for us today in terms of our strength, our power around the ball,” Main said. “I’m just really, really pleased.”

“We’re so fortunate that our coach makes a tough schedule” senior midfielder Meghan McCullough said. “It really prepares us for the season and that’s what matters the most.”

The Bobcats got on the board early, scoring 20 minutes into the opening frame on a goal from McCullough. The goal from McCullough came after she redirected a shot from fifth-year senior defender Megan Osanitsch.

“It was amazing,” McCullough said. “It was a team effort and everyone contributed. It’s just the best feeling ever, but it’s not over yet.”

Junior defender Lily Shemo scored the second goal just a little over a minute into the second half. The assist came from sophomore midfielder Dayna Barlow.

Just ten minutes later, sophomore forward Felicia Costanzo scored after she received an assist from McCullough.

Then, with two minutes left, sophomore defender Lauren Belskie capped off the win after she scored with an assist from junior midfield Angie King and McCullough.

The Bobcats had eight penalty corners in the game and that is the reason why coach Main believes they won.

“That for us is the difference in winning games and that’s why we weren’t winning games early on,” Main said.

The Bobcats are back in action on Sunday, when they take on Providence at home. Game time is set for 1 p.m.