McDonald to serve as UNE director of athletics

Director of Athletics and Recreation Jack McDonald was named the new associate vice president and director of athletics at the University of New England (UNE), according to a UNE press release. McDonald was set to retire from his job at Quinnipiac on June 30.

McDonald announced his retirement from Quinnipiac in October after serving as athletic director for 20 years. He had said he wanted to retire to spend more time with his family.

“I’ve always been a big family guy,” he said in November. “The dots just connected, and I think it’s the right situation.”

But, instead McDonald will be heading up north to manage athletics at the Maine college.

“I look forward to assisting President Ripich, John Tumiel and the entire athletic staffs at the University of New England,” McDonald said in the press release. “UNE is a beautiful campus with outstanding leadership and excellent programs and facilities.”

“I would also like to sincerely thank Quinnipiac President John Lahey, Mark Thompson and the Athletics and Recreation staff for 20 perfect years.”

UNE President Danielle Ripich said McDonald brings a significant arsenal of skills to the university.

“Jack McDonald is the consummate builder,” Ripich said . “He brings to UNE, Maine’s largest private university, his experience, enthusiasm and energy to build our growing athletics program. We all welcome him and a new era of leadership for our athletics program.”

McDonald confirmed to The Chronicle that he will be joining UNE, but could not comment further at the time. Quinnipiac Sports Information did not return immediate request for comment in time for publication.

Stay with The Chronicle for updates.