Senior Sendoff

I truly can’t believe how quickly these four years have gone by. I still remember my first media summit, and my first Quinnipiac Chronicle staff meeting. In August of 2011, I joined this newspaper in hopes of jump-starting my career in journalism. With no prior experience, I was somewhat skeptical of what I was getting myself into.

And now, as I sit here writing my final piece for The Chronicle, I still think about the day I decided to join this organization. I’ve often said that it was one of the best decisions of my life. But the more I think about it, the more sure I am that it was the best decision of my life.

The people I’ve met. The friends I’ve made. The things I’ve learned. It’s all invaluable.

So what advice can I offer in my final piece? A few life tips feel appropriate.

First, get involved. And do it right now. Quinnipiac has countless organizations that students can join. These organizations are there for us to help us learn outside the classroom and to meet new people. Take advantage of these opportunities. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a freshman or an incoming senior. Utilize these tools; you won’t regret it.

Second, don’t be afraid to make a mistake. Or several of them. College is a time to learn by doing. Mess up now, and you won’t have to worry about messing up later. This is the only time in your life where you’ll have the luxury of trying new things and taking big risks. Don’t let it pass you by.

Third, keep in contact with friends and family. This goes for everyone from freshmen to the Class of 2015. If you’re away at school, don’t forget about your parents. Sure, you may be busy and tied up with schoolwork, but they’re why you’re here. Call them frequently, even if it’s only for a few minutes at a time. And when you graduate, don’t forget about your college friends. They’re why your undergraduate years were so much fun.

Fourth, as great as these years have been, it’s important to realize that this is not your peak. Cliché maybe, but the best is really yet to come. Set goals, and you’ll only go up from here.

It’s fair to say that I wouldn’t be where am I right now without this organization. At some point during my sophomore year, I made it my goal to become editor-in-chief of this newspaper. Two years later, I accomplished my goal and then some. Put effort in, and the rest will follow.

How do I close a piece like this? The only way that comes to mind is by saying thank you. Thank you to everyone I’ve met through this organization over the past four years. I couldn’t have been more fortunate to have been able to work with you guys. Chronicle members are some of the most dedicated and hard-working students on campus. That’s one thing that will never change.