Capital Punishment

The high-octane offense that scored 13 goals and powered the Quinnipiac men’s hockey team to two wins in its inaugural weekend of ECACHL play was held quiet last weekend. Ranked third in the nation in offense entering the weekend, the Bobcats’ offense produced just two goals in losses at RPI and Union.

The 4-2 loss at RPI on Friday snapped Quinnipiac’s eight-game winning streak. The Bobcats (2-2 in ECACHL, 8-4 overall) hadn’t lost since the opening weekend of the season, when they dropped back-to-back games at No. 2 Michigan.

“We scored a lot of goals in our first ten games. A lot of them were ugly goals, some good bounces, and you’re going to get those,” Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold said on the WQUN-AM 1220 postgame show. “We were on a good streak and the well ran dry this weekend.”

No. 20 Quinnipiac, ranked in the U.S. College Hockey poll for the first time in program history, rallied from one-goal deficits twice to tie RPI. But just 26 seconds after freshman David Marshall tied the game at two with 8:05 left in the second period, Engineers’ forward Kevin Croxton beat Quinnipiac freshman goalie Bud Fisher to score the game-winning goal that put RPI in front 3-2.

RPI goalie Mathias Lange stopped 31 saves for the Engineers, who were outshot by the Bobcats, 33-30.

“I think the key to the game was Lange in the first period,” Pecknold said. “We outshot them 16-7. We could’ve scored four goals in that period.”

Quinnipiac was stymied by another quality goaltending performance on Saturday as Union goalie Kris Mayotte turned aside 28 shots to blank the Bobcats, 2-0.

The Dutchmen scored a power play goal with 2:32 left in the first period. Michael Beynon picked up a rebound in the slot and fired the puck past Fisher (24 saves). Union added a shorthanded empty net goal in the final seconds of the third period.

The Bobcats return to the Empire State next weekend for games against St. Lawrence (3-1, 7-3) and Clarkson (2-1-1, 6-3-1).