QU honors International Ed. Week

Quinnipiac will be celebrating the annual International Education Week from November 14 – 17.

The event began on Monday with a speech by Scott Ritter, former United Nations Inspector in Iraq, and former intelligence officer for the U.S Marines. Entitled “The Difficult Search for an Exit Strategy in Iraq,” Ritter spoke in Alumni Hall.

“We think it is important and interesting to have him speak, especially because of the current war in Iraq,” said Patrick Frazier, Director of International Education.

“This event [had] a student focus because the war is affecting younger people who are fighting in this war,” Frazier said.

Another highlight of the week was the International Business Dinner hosted by the International Business Society on Tuesday, Nov. 15 in the Alumni Hall.

The purpose of the event, according to Admir Krvavac, the president of the IB Society, and a senior international business and finance major, is “to provide an outside point of view as opposed to the class room. It is an opportunity for students to learn about different cultures.”

There was live cultural entertainment including salsa dancers, and 19 varieties of food from all over the world.

Professor Russell Barclay from the School of Communications gave a speech entitled “All in the Family.” David Chin spoke about the “Rise of China and Implications for the U.S.”

Five current International Business Students were recognized for awards from the IB Society. Robert Bogdanoff (78) received the Distinguished Alumni Award.

The International Club will be hosting an International Students Celebration at 7 p.m. in the Mancheski Seminar Room on Nov. 16.

“The event will provide the ideal venue for all students to come together with international students and interact in an informal setting,” said Sai Ahmed, the president of the International Club.

“Food will be available from all the different countries represented in the International Club, such as China, Taiwan, India, and Nigeria,” Ahmed added.

The last event for the International Education Week will be the film, “The Message.” It will be showcased at 7pm in the Mancheski Seminar Room on Thursday.