Admissions aide dies in accident rescue effort

Lauren Mohr, a temporary aide in the undergraduate admissions office and step-daughter of Vice President for Admissions and Financial Aid Joan Mohr, died today, according to a MyQ announcement. She was 34.

Mohr had just gotten out of work at Barcelona Restaurant and Wine Bar in New Haven, where she served as a waitress. She was driving on Interstate 91, heading north, when she saw a hit-and-run accident. She pulled over to help the victims and dialed 911. She stood by a bridge as she waited for help to arrive, but then something–police say maybe another car driving too close to her–made her step back. She slipped on the snow and ice, fell off the bridge and passed away from her injuries.

“Lauren was courageous and optimistic, and had faced a lot of challenges in her life, which made her a caring and wise person. Friends and family would seek her advice. She will be remembered as our hero,” her father Lawrence and Joan Mohr said in a statement.

Mohr served in the U.S. Air Force for four years and was a trained medical technician. She recently graduated from Middlesex Community College with an associate’s degree in social work and planned to continue studying social work at Southern Connecticut State University this fall.

The university said in a statement that it was saddened to hear of Mohr’s passing.

“The university would like to extend its sincerest condolences to the Mohr family and ask that you continue to keep Lauren’s family and her many friends in your thoughts and prayers,” Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell said in a statement.

Mohr leaves behind her husband Nate, her sister Arwen and her mother Diana.

The university said it will let the community know when funeral services will be held.