Men’s ice hockey plays to draw vs. Yale

Men’s ice hockey plays to draw vs. Yale

The men’s ice hockey skated to a 2-2 tie against the Yale Bulldogs on Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd at Ingalls Rink.

Yale came back from two one-goal deficits to end the game even. With the tie the Bobcats move to 16-8-2 on the season and 11-2-1 in the conference. The Bulldogs, meanwhile, move to 12-6-3 on the year and 7-5-2 in the ECAC.

Sam Anas highlighted Quinnipiac’s performance on the night, finishing with two goals, both of them being assisted by Travis St. Denis. Both goaltenders, Quinnipiac’s Michael Garteig and Yale’s Alex Lyon, recorded 29 saves on the evening.

Anas now has 10 points in the last six games, including six goals. As for St. Denis, he extends his point streak to seven games.

Playing in front of 3,500 fans at Ingalls Rink, Anas commented on the loud atmosphere.

“[Quinnipiac vs. Yale] is always a fun environment and the crowd is always into it,” Anas said. “That was like a playoff game, we played that third period like it was the last minutes we would play.”

Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold was pleased with the performance by both teams.

“I thought that was a great college hockey game,” Pecknold said. “The pace was awesome, tons of scoring chances and great goaltending.”

Prior to the game, Quinnipiac received news that Connor Clifton was suspended for the night because of a slew foot call against Brown.

“We battled today, especially through the adversity,” Pecknold said.

Anas put the Bobcats on the board first with a backhander after deking right and putting one past Lyon.

Quinnipiac’s Garteig recorded 12 saves in the period and kept the Bobcats ahead.

“I knew that the defense was going to slide that so I went right and lost it for a second, so I knew I had to push it towards the net,” Anas said.

Yale came back for the first time by the hands of Carson Cooper. The junior center received a sharp pass from Frankie DiChiara while right in front of the net and went five-hole on Garteig halfway through the period. The Bobcats outshot Yale 14-11 in the second, but Lyon was perfect to help Yale tie things 1-1.

Anas came back again early in the third period and gave the Bobcats another lead with a one-timer from in front of the net as a Yale power play expired. St. Denis tallied up his second assist on the night with the goal.

“That was a heck of play,” Anas said about St. Denis’ pass. “[St. Denis] has a great one timer, but he has even better vision.

Yale tied things back up for a second time less than three minutes later. Defenseman Ryan Obuchowski hit a slap shot from the point passed Garteig to make it even at two.

Both teams had scoring opportunities in the final minutes of the third period, but the two goaltenders stopped everything to bring it to overtime. Quinnipiac got four shots off in overtime, but the game ended in a draw.

The Bobcats are in action next weekend at both Cornell and Colgate in two ECAC matches.