Women’s ice hockey falls to Harvard in OT

Womens ice hockey falls to Harvard in OT

Nearly two months removed from Harvard’s 2-1 win over Quinnipiac, the rematch lived up to the hype.

Sydney Daniels netted the game-winning goal in overtime, leading Harvard past Quinnipiac 2-1 in the extra frame at the TD Bank Sports Center in Hamden.

The loss was the Bobcats’ third straight, their longest losing streak of the season.

“We were close to perfect,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “As a coach, you have to be happy with a game like that. I thought it was a great college hockey game.”

Quinnipiac outshot Harvard 25-14 heading into overtime. However, Harvard came up biggest in the overtime period. The Crimson outshot Quinnipiac 6-2 in the extra period, leading to a puck-deflection goal to end the game and hand the Bobcats’ their fourth loss of the year.

“It’s deflating to come out on the losing end when I thought we controlled most of the game,” Seeley said. “We played great in all three zones. We were flustered a little bit in our zone in overtime. It caught up with us.”

Quinnipiac junior Nicole Kosta helped Quinnipiac score first in the second period of action, with a wrist shot goal to make it 1-0. Erica Uden Johansson was credited with the assist.

The lead was the first Quinnipiac held since Jan. 17 against Robert Morris.

Harvard center Kalley Armstrong, however, knotted things up 1-1 by scoring her fourth goal of the season at 14:44.

“That one was on me,” Quinnipiac goalie Chelsea Laden said.

“When there’s a breakdown people have to adjust quickly, and we just didn’t move quick enough,” Seeley said.

Laden finished the night with 16 saves.

“When we play top teams, we get one or two goals,” Seeley said. “We know that going in. I thought we consciously made some efforts. We know we got to win these games 1-0 or 2-1.”

Quinnipiac’s Shiann Darkangelo recorded her 100th career point in the loss.

With the loss, Quinnipiac falls to 20-4-3 on the season. The Bobcats square off with Dartmouth at the TD Bank Sports Center on Saturday at 4 p.m.

“Our kids need to shake this off now. Everything will be fine,” Seeley said.