No playoffs for women’s soccer this year

Going into the final home games of the season, the Quinnipiac women’s soccer team was in need of two victories to keep its playoff aspirations alive. Due to a 5-2 win over Robert Morris on Friday, the Bobcats were halfway there going into Sunday’s Senior Day match-up with St. Francis (Pa). But on a cold, windy early afternoon, they couldn’t keep the momentum going.

Quinnipiac (2-5 in NEC) lost to the Red Flash 4-0 and was mathematically eliminated from a second straight post season appearance. St. Francis scored a minute into the game and was up 2-0 in just over 10 minutes.

The Red Flash put the game away by putting a cross into the net from five yards out for each of its final two goals. The Bobcats held a possession edge over the Red Flash, but were unable to generate any quality scoring chances.

“It was Senior Day. I think we just got caught up in the emotions and we just came out flat,” David Clarke, the head coach, said. “We just couldn’t generate any offense. I thought that we were good between the 18 yard line, but defensively and offensively inside the box we were just terrible.”

It was the final home game in the career of five Quinnipiac seniors. Ashley Lockwood, Cristina Salamone, Leandra Price, Nicole Martin and Jessica Iorio were honored in the pre-game ceremony and tried to fight back the emotions when it was over.

“All five gave tremendous effort for us,” Clarke said. “They are five great kids, five great workers, and we were lucky to have them. I think they were hoping for more though, and I wish we could have gone further a couple more times.”

Quinnipiac received a four-goal outburst from Leandra Price on Friday to defeat Robert Morris University 5-2. The Bobcats had been shutout in their last four games, but put together their highest scoring game of the season to momentarily keep their post season hopes alive.

Price came into the game with three goals on the season, but scored the Bobcats’ first goal four minutes in. With the game tied at two, she scored the final three goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. As special a game as it was for Price, she nearly had two more goals as she hit the post twice and was stopped on a breakaway.

The Bobcats conclude their 2005 season at Mount St. Mary’s on Friday then travel to New Jersey to face Monmouth on Sunday.