New year, new adventures

It’s Saturday morning, you’re sitting in the common room with your roommates discussing the night’s plan. You’re going to Toad’s Place. It’s either your first or fifteenth time going to New Haven on a Saturday night and you don’t know what the city has to offer because you are constantly doing the same thing every weekend.

There is more to do in the area than just Toad’s Place and Sleeping Giant. Toad’s will always be there, so you can forgo a Saturday for a night and try something else out. Here are some suggestions of interesting places not too far from campus:

– East Rock park – New Haven

East Rock is only a short drive from campus and is on the Hamden-New Haven boarder. You can see the city and Long Island Sound from the top of the mountain. The Soldier’s and Sailor’s Monument is located at the summit. It honors the residents of New Haven who gave their lives in the Revolutionary War.

-Studio Yemm – Hamden

Located not too far from main campus, Studio Yemm is a quiet getaway from the everyday stressors. There are a variety of classes if you are new to practicing yoga or at an advanced level you will find something that works for you. The studio has a student rate for classes and the first class is complimentary.

-Shops at Yale – New Haven

The shops on Broadway are in the heart of Yale’s campus. One of the many perks of living near New Haven is the shopping. Stores like J.Crew and Apple are a short walk from where the Quinnipiac shuttle stops. Parking in a city can sometimes be a hassle. Some parking lots will validate if you are at a restaurant and parking is free on the street on Sundays. Another helpful hint: some stores offer a student discount when you show your ID.

-Hamden Restaurant Week – Hamden September 15-21

Want to try eat at some of the best restaurants Hamden has to offer but don’t want to spend all your money? During September 15-21, restaurants all over town will be featuring either a buy one get one option or three-course prix fixe menu. Participating restaurants include: Aunt Chilada’s, B & D Deli Works and Eli’s. More information can be found at www.hamdechamber.com

-The Space – Hamden

The Space is a small, intimate venue for bands and comedians to come and perform. They have performances almost every night of the week and tickets range from 10 to 15 dollars. Information on performers can be found at www.thespacect.com.

-Funky Monkey Cafe – Cheshire

This cafe is not like the Starbucks in center of Hamden. It has an extensive menu from fair trade coffee to jalepeno bacon. The Funky Monkey Cafe is also an art gallery that features some of Connecticut’s finest artists. There is also live music, art and comedy. A schedule of events can be found at www.thefunkymonkeycafe.com.

– Karaoke Heroes – New Haven

If you want the nightlife but don’t want Toad’s Place, this bar has it. You’ll have a fun time with friends singing Britney Spears hits in the public lounge area or one of the private karaoke rooms.