Senior Sendoff

*Disclaimer: My younger sister will be enrolling at Quinnipiac this fall.*

Dear Sami,

My four years at college were the best years of my life. It’s cliché of me to say that, but it is undoubtedly true. I’ve had so much fun here at Quinnipiac, from the games I attended to the concerts and events; from the nights out with friends to the later nights spent in the trailer/media suite. Now it’s your time.

I don’t want you to compare yourself to me and I don’t want anybody comparing you to me. When you come here, I don’t want anyone to refer you as “Matt Eisenberg’s sister.” You need to be “Sami Eisenberg” and be your own individual.

You’re studying something else, so there is no reason to draw any comparison to me and my major. You should focus on what you are doing without relating any of it to what I have done over my four years.

I don’t want you to compare yourself to me regarding GPA, awards, recognitions or anything along those lines. In fact, you shouldn’t even try to focus on awards. I didn’t come to college trying to win awards; I came here with the thought I would do as much as I can and make the most of my opportunity. Everything else will follow.

Getting involved is one of the most necessary things you need to do in college. Be it Greek life, a service organization, academic group or anything else, you’ll be able to find out exactly what the university has to offer. You’ll experience more in college when you leave your dorm room.

Campus involvement is only part of it, though. You get out what you put in. Try to do as much as you possibly can. Ninety percent of learning in college is done outside the classroom, and you will discover a lot about yourself over the next four years. Attend as many events as possible. Go to games. Meet as many people as you can. You’ll realize this campus has a lot to offer.

I don’t want you to get involved in something for the sole reason that I did it. These are your four years, so don’t spend it getting involved in something just because I was in that organization. People have asked me, “Do you want your sister to join The Chronicle?” and my only response is, “only if she wants to.” Do what you want to do.

As much as I have stressed campus involvement, grades are still extremely important. Yes, employers may take a look at your transcript, but mom and dad have invested a lot of time and effort teaching us the value of hard work, so I know I don’t need to tell you not to slack off academically. You already know better.

You can always come to me for questions and advice. I will always stand by you, through the good times and the bad. I know you will be at my graduation in just a matter of weeks, and soon after that you will be at your freshman orientation. That’s only the start of four great years for you, and I truly hope you enjoy every moment on campus.

Take it from me: I’d love to do these four years all over again.

Love,

Your brother,

Matt