Wreck: Work study struggles

Quinnipiac’s campus, education and student life all come with a pretty high price. While most students that come to Quinnipiac are not penny pinching, some need help along the way, so they apply for work study.

[media-credit id=2020 align=”alignleft” width=”200″]DSC_0226[/media-credit]

Quinnipiac’s work study program is offered to students that qualify federally for financial aid. Around 1,200 students are employed each year through the Office of Financial Aid. Jobs are offered in many places around campus and students can apply to work wherever they want.

There are also jobs that are offered at the post office, polling institute, through athletics and many other places. Most jobs do not require any experience and the staff will help to train the student working.

This program may seem easy and fair, but some students think it needs a change. Many students need the money to help pay for books, school supplies or for an activity on campus. But the problem is, most jobs pay minimum wage. Payment is low compared to the high cost of books.

If Quinnipiac had a way of raising the pay of students that work, the students would be able to afford what they need. Freshman Cecilia Fanning works at the polling institute said “the pay is good and above Connecticut minimum wage. The hours I work every week do not add up to help pay QU’s bills and book costs.”

There seems to be more things that students complain about. One student mentioned that the hours are not consistent and they can be at odd times.

The other problem is getting the paperwork in and accepted. Many students would like a job on campus, but are not federally qualified to get one. Freshman Jocelyn Bates works for intramural sports. “When you get a work study job, you need to make sure your paperwork is done correctly and you have to update it when there are changes,” she said.

If the paperwork does not qualify or is not updated, you’re out of a job