Kotas powers Canisius past Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse

The Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse team scored a season-high 15 goals on Sunday at the QU Lacrosse Turf Field.

The Bobcats, however, gave up a season-high number of goals, as well.

2013 MAAC Championship MVP Maria Kotas had eight goals and six assists for Canisius, and the Golden Griffins went on to defeat Quinnipiac by the final score of 23-15.

“We didn’t do the job we needed to do in the second half,” Quinnipiac Head Coach Danie Caro said. “We’re still looking for that elusive 60-minute game.”

Kotas scored five times in the first half for the Golden Griffins, culminated by a goal she blasted past Quinnipiac keeper Samantha Tilts while falling down in front of the net 51 seconds before the break.

“We knew she was going to come in and get her points, and we thought if we could shut everyone else off it might give us a chance,” Caro said.

Kotas now has 32 goals on the season, which ranks first in the MAAC.

“There’s a reason why she’s been the Player of the Year before, and has a pretty good shot at being it again. I tip my hat to her,” Caro said.

Quinnipiac trailed by only two goals, 9-7, at halftime against the reigning MAAC Champions.

“The first half our offense did pretty well,” Caro said. “We were patient, we executed the game plan pretty well, capitalized on our opportunities, and we took advantage of the opportunities we created in transition.”

Canisius, however, scored five straight times in less than five minutes to put the game out of reach in the second half.

“Canisius is a very good team, and to their credit they made the adjustments they needed to at halftime, and we didn’t. We got a little bit away from out-game plan and it cost us,” Caro said.

Kathleen DeVito led the Bobcats with two goals and three assists. Kelly Babstock contributed two goals and two assists of her own, while Kyra Ochwat had two goals and one assist.

The Bobcats led 6-5 after DeVito scored with 10:04 left in the first half, then Canisius scored three straight times. The Golden Griffins held the lead for the rest of the game.

Canisius outshot the Bobcats 41-27. Samantha Tilts had 11 saves in net for Quinnipiac.

With the loss the Bobcats fall to 1-9 overall, and 1-2 in MAAC play. Quinnipiac is back home on Wednesday, playing host to Iona at 3 p.m.