Number of freshmen written-up above normal

As the first week of classes drew to a close, the freshmen class became filled with excitement about their first weekend away from parents and the opportunity to meet new people. Thursday night arrived and some students would assert that Thursdays can be the best part of the weekend.

“I heard that everyone is supposed to party really hard on Thursday. It’s something I’ve never done before,” said Matt Dimick, a freshman.

Freshmen students lined up at the bus stop on Thursday to catch thier first shuttle into New Haven.

“I heard New Haven was the spot that everyone went to. I had to go,” Dimick said

The shuttle buses are generally packed on a Thursday night with students headed to the clubs and hangouts of the city. This Thursday was no different.

“We had more than 600 students get on buses for New Haven on Sept. 1, assuming the most were freshmen,” John Twining, chief of security, said. “The students come to school to work hard, but they also come to get that partying experience everyone talks about. Sometimes things get out of control.”

The exact number of freshmen students written up is not known, but apparently it was larger than normal.

“It was definitely one of the longer reports that I have seen,” Twining said.

Most of the write-ups came from alcohol related violations. Others were incidents such as alcohol related fighting.

“When students drink too much, nothing that is said is going to slide by,” Twining said.

Not every freshman is out to get caught by security or the Resident Assistants, but sometimes they try to test their limits.

“I wasn’t sure how strict security was on campus. I wanted to have fun but not get caught. I wanted to test the waters,” said Dimick, who was not written up this weekend.

Security has one motto and that is to keep all of the students safe. The resident advisors and security work together every day, but are extra vigilant on weekends to protect the students and the campus.

“This year’s RA group is one of the better ones that we have had,” Twining said, “They work with us to keep everyone safe.”

Whether the excess of security write-ups is the effect of a wild class or tighter security has yet to be decided. “I think it will calm down as soon as the freshmen start to figure out how much they can handle,” Twining said.

“As Carol Boucher says, security here will always do ‘whatever it takes.'”