Ancient seeds bring new food trend

Chia seeds are not new, in fact, they’re ancient. The seeds stem back to ancient Mayan and Aztec cultures and believed to give supernatural powers to those who consumed them, according to foodandnutrition.org.

The tiny seeds are packed with protein, minerals, omega-3’s and antioxidants, according to foodandnutrition.org. Per ounce, they contain 10 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein and 4,500 milligrams of alpha-linolenic acid omega-3’s. However, they contain 138 calories and 9 grams of fat, so moderation is necessary.

The seeds are typically black in color, yet some are white or gray, and very small. Their flavor is bland and almost tasteless, making them easy to insert into meals without changing the flavor of the recipe. The seeds expand and form into a gel when wet that is said to potentially curb hunger, according to foodandnutrition.org. However, more research must be conducted to confirm.

Only about one ounce of chia seeds per day is enough to keep in line with a healthy diet, according to ABC News. Because the seed is high in fiber, consuming more than the recommended daily amount could cause the consumer to experience an upset stomach.

Incorporating chia seeds into a diet is simple and makes a great addition to any oatmeal, smoothie or yogurt. Here’s an easy chia seed recipe that can be made in a dorm room kitchen:

Apple superfood oatmeal:

¼ cup chia seeds

4 cups almond milk

2 teaspoons cinnamon

½ cup rolled oats

3 apples (cored and diced)

maple syrup or raw honey

1) in a medium pot, bring chia seeds, cinnamon, almond milk and oats to a boil

2) cook about 2-3 minutes

3) stir in apples

4) serve and enjoy