Women ready for NEC lacrosse tournament

The Quinnipiac women’s lacrosse team had a slow start to its season, losing its first five games. However, in the sixth game of the season and the team’s first conference game, the Bobcats record began to take on a whole new look.

“Despite a tough non-league schedule at the beginning of our season, we have turned around to win six conference games to clinch us a good spot in the Northeast Conference tournament,” senior Kate Danowski said.

Quinnipiac’s 11-10 triple overtime win over Sacred Heart on Mar. 24 marked the beginning of a four-game winning streak for the team. Senior Christy Smallman said this game is one of her best memories of the season. “That team is always a good rivalry for us and even though it was a struggle into overtime, we really showed great composure and played as a team to earn that win.”

Smallman assisted on senior Kate Danowski’s game-winning goal just under two-and-a-half minutes into the third overtime. Sophomore goaltender Ashley Thompson made eight saves to help Quinnipiac edge the Pioneers.

Another big win for the Bobcats this season came on Mar. 29 against Ivy League opponent Columbia University. Junior Jennifer Larson, junior Danielle Mormile and Smallman all contributed multiple goals in Quinnipiac’s 11-8 victory over Columbia.

“It was huge for us to beat an Ivy League school and it really helped to get our name out their in the lacrosse world,” Smallman said.

The Bobcats concluded their Northeastern Conference (NEC) schedule with a tough loss against Monmouth University last Friday. Despite a hat trick from Larson, the first-place Hawks remained unbeaten in the NEC with an 8-6 win.

Quinnipiac wrapped up its regular season schedule with a home game against Longwood on Sunday. With a 6-2 conference record, the Bobcats are assured the No. 3 spot in this weekend’s NEC tournament. Quinnipiac will play at either Monmouth or Mt. St. Mary’s, which are the only NEC teams to defeat the Bobcats this season.

Regardless of which team Quinnipiac plays, the Bobcats will be the underdog in the tournament. However, the team knows that anything can happen during the single-game elimination tournament.

“Last year was the first time we made the tournament since 1999 and this year we are hoping to win it for the first time in the history of the program,” Smallman said.