Home is where the break is

Spring break can be the ultimate vacation for any college student. Male and female students are attracted to the idea of partying all day and night. This year tens of thousands of students will flock to the beaches in Florida and Mexico, but what about those that decide not to jet set?

Next week students will be on planes, trains and cars trying to get as far away from campus as possible. Whether it’s to a beach to soak up some very necessary vitamin D or your bed at home, enjoy the time away from school. Before you know it, you will be in the library studying for finals.

Some spring break vacations have a heavy price tag. According to DoSomething.org, more than 1.5 million students go away every year and collectively spend more than $1 billion.

“I don’t have any money to go away, plus I didn’t plan ahead,” sophomore Jack Brady said.

“I’m going to University of Massachusetts for the first half of [spring break] to visit a friend and then I’m going home,” freshman Lindsay Adam said. “I’m going home because I can’t afford to go anywhere else. My parents said that if I wanted to go somewhere then it’s on me so I’m just going to save for something else.”

Many students also miss their family and being at home. Sophomore Sarah Johnson is looking forward to seeing her parents and working. Sophomores Alyssa Beiner and Melissa Boucher both agree that they don’t have the money to spend for a vacation and they want to spend time with family.

Buzzfeed acknowledges spring break isn’t just a week of getting tan and partying all day and night. The site recently published a community post, 16 Reasons You Should Go Home for spring break. “Number 2: Are you really going to say that you don’t want to spend a week curled up on the couch? Number 10: And at home, there is no danger of getting markered up if you pass out on the couch…there is a significant risk that you may get tucked in though.”

Freshmen Amanda Leveillee and Julianna Marrone will be relaxing at home.

“I will be catching up with old friends,” Marrone said. “Over the summer I usually do stuff.”

Senior Marissa Bogris spent three spring breaks at home because she had to work. She knew that if she saved up enough money she would be able to enjoy a trip her senior year.

Uloop, a website connecting thousands of students from different universities, has an article on the top five reasons to go home for vacation. The top point is that you save money. Another perk to being home for break is that you can do your laundry for free. That doesn’t happen while on the beach in Mexico. According to BillShrink.com, the average college student spends $1,100 while on break. With that money, you can buy a new laptop, a spring wardrobe or 140 Domino’s large, one-item pizzas.

Spring break can be a time to get focused on summer plans. Will you be applying for internships? Will you need to fill out more job applications at local restaurants and shops? Internship deadlines are around the corner.

“I will be spending most of my time home searching for summer internships,” sophomore Tiffany Morrissey said. “I have been so busy at school, I can now sit and focus on future plans.”

No matter how you will be spending the upcoming seven to eight days, remember to enjoy and make the most of the break. Before you know it, you will be registering for the fall semester or purchasing your graduation cap and gown.