Young alumni help grads

A common misconception of a college alumni meeting is that it consists of about a dozen old men playing golf, or middle-aged women comparing who is fatter and who is the best trophy wife. But at Quinnipiac, a branch of the alumni association is promoting a new perception of alumni reunions.

The Young Alumni Society of Quinnipiac works to keep in contact graduates of the university within the past decade.

“This group is different from the other alumni,” Tara Kirch, the project manager of the society, said. “Students who have just graduated are still young. They’re still in close contact with their family and friends from school. Many have been a part of the school’s transition from a college to university.”

Finding its feet roughly one year ago, the Young Alumni Society provides opportunities for graduates to keep in touch with friends, and network with other Quinnipiac graduates through events such as After Hours.

“After Hours takes place every third Thursday of the month, between 6-8 p.m. Usually it’s at a restaurant, and there, soon-to-be, or those who are already graduates can socialize and discuss the challenges and opportunities that result from leaving school for the real world,” Assistant Director of Alumni and Parent Relations Amy Rosen said.

Despite its fairly new construction, the Young Alumni Society has taken steps to gain notice and respect.

“We currently have representatives in chapters across the [Northeast]: New York, New Jersey, Long Island and Hartford. Last May we were approved by the National Board of Governors, and our chapter president Lauren Fikslin (’04) is a voting member of that body,” Rosen said.

“Because we are fairly new, most of our budget is going to awareness, especially to undergraduates, for when they become seniors and/or graduates,” Kirch said.

The Society is currently focusing on the end of this academic year. They will have a table at the Commencement Fair on April 25 and 28 and on May 26 there will be another After Hours session for the new alumni at the Southport Brewing Company in Branford.