Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey ties Yale

The Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey team tied Yale 3-3 Friday night at TD Bank Sports Center. Kelly Babstock notched the tying goal with 1:08 remaining in regulation to force overtime. With the tie, the Bobcats drop to fifth place in the ECAC standings behind St. Lawrence.

The Bobcats got going late in the first period with Shiann Darkangelo scoring off a deflection with 11 seconds left in the period to take a 1-0 lead. Nicole Connery pushed the lead to 2-0 with a deflection of Meghan Turner’s shot following a pass by Amanda Colin.

“I think we started the game off slow, and then picked it up a bit in the second,” Quinnipiac coach Rick Seeley said following the game.

Despite the two-goal deficit, the Bulldogs remained relentless, and the Bobcats lost control.

“I saw a lack of commitment from the girls in the third period,” Seeley said.

Krista Yip-Chuck started the comeback for Yale late in the second period with a power-play goal following an interference penalty on Kelly Babstock.

The majority of the third period was played in Yale’s favor. The Bulldogs outshot the Bobcats 11-7, and were on the attack throughout the period.

Just three minutes into the third Kate Martini blasted a slap shot from the right point through traffic past goaltender Chelsea Laden to tie the game at 2.

Hanna Astrom gave Yale the lead with a top shelf wrist shot that was assisted by Stephanie Mock.

Playing with their backs against the wall for the final three minutes, the Bobcats called a timeout with 1:26 left in regulation.

“I said it was time to start battling for loose pucks,” Seeley said during the timeout.

The team listened to its coach, and set up a scoring opportunity for Kelly Babstock, who put it in the back of the net with a wrist shot right in the slot with 1:05 left in regulation.

Quinnipiac struggled on the power play, going 0 for 3.

Quinnipiac will take on Brown Saturday at 4 p.m.