Capital Cities to wake The Giant this spring

The Student Programming Board announced Saturday at the Quinnipiac vs. Rider men’s basketball game that Capital Cities will be headlining the Wake the Giant Spring Concert this semester. The Spring Concert is scheduled for May 2, the weekend before finals, in the TD Bank Sports Center.

Capital-Cities3-bbruemmerforwebBbruemmer/Flickr

“Capital Cities is a really fun pop group,” said Kristin Foley, SPB’s mainstage chair. “They’re popular right now so we’ve had good feedback about it.”

The tickets will be $10 for arena seating, $15 for floor and $20 for graduates and guests. One of Foley’s main goals was to make the concert cheaper and more accessible for students.

“We do the shows for the students…but the student body is very diverse, everyone has their different choice in music, and you can’t please everyone,” Foley said.

Capital Cities is an indie electro band. The duo, Ryan Merchant and Sebu Simonian met on Craigslist in 2008 and formed their band, Capital Cities, in 2010. They released their EP “Safe and Sound” in 2011. Their hit song “Safe and Sound” went multi-platinum in the United States.

Foley is confident with SPB’s decision and is not worried that finals will impact student attendance.

“The show starts at 8 [p.m.] and it’s over by 11 [p.m.] at the latest, it’s not a huge time commitment,” Foley said. “It’s up to the students, but I don’t think it will deter people if they really want to go.”

The date of the concert was chosen due to a number of factors, Foley said. SPB wanted to avoid conflicting with men’s ice hockey and the possibility of entering the Frozen Four, Foley said.

Rumors were going around that Capital Cities was not on the survey that SPB sent out to the students to see who they would like to see at the Spring Concert, but Foley put those rumors to rest and has verified that the band was included in the survey and received positive student feedback.