Health Center prepares for flu season

The start of the spring semester is the busiest time of the year for the Health Center, according to Director for Student Health Services Alice Holland.

Holland said the Health Center has taken a “proactive approach” in preparation for flu season.

“Signs have been placed in the residence halls and on campus reminding the Quinnipiac Community of proper hand washing and cough etiquette,” Holland said.

According to Holland, 2,250 doses of the flu vaccine were administered free of charge on campus during the 2013 fall semester.

Influenza, or “the flu” is caused by a virus and symptoms may last from seven to 10 days. Symptoms of the flu include a cough, sore throat, fatigue, a fever greater than 100 degrees and body aches.

According to Holland, it is important to visit the Health Center if students experience flu-like symptoms. Students who have the flu are sent home and their parents are notified of the students condition.

“Rest and treating your symptoms is the best way to get better,” Holland said. “Students should not attend classes or return to campus until their fever is resolved for more than 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications.”

While the Health Center is taking steps to make sure students are healthy during flu season, some students, such as sophomore Alex Danieli, think the Health Center is not helpful enough for students who are sick.

“I went there once with swollen lymph nodes and they told me that it was acne,” Danieli said. “When I went to my doctor from home he told me I had mono.”

Danieli thinks the Health Center should hire more specialists and nurses to help treat students with various illnesses.

“The nurses at the health center have a very limited idea of illnesses,” Danieli said. “I think that expanding their knowledge by bringing in new people would be a great idea.”

Even though some students are reluctant to visit the Health Center, students such as freshman Abby Lopez feel they are helpful and hospitable for students who are sick.

“The wait isn’t that long and before you leave they make sure you are OK,” Lopez said. “One time I had strep throat and they made me stay there for a good eight hours to make sure I was OK before I left.”

Lopez said she has never had a bad experience at the Health Center and encourages more students to go there when they are sick.

“Student Health Services’ top priority is the health and safety of our students,” Holland said.

Students who are sick with the flu and unable to go home due to distance or special circumstances are housed in isolation until they are no longer contagious, according to Holland.

“Usually when you think about the health center you think that it’s just a bunch of doctors that are there because they have to be, but they actually do care and only want to help you,” Lopez said.