Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey defeats Rensselaer

Kelly Babstock can add one more accolade to her great career. The senior center collected her 100th career assist in the Bobcats’ 3-1 victory over Rensselaer.

Babstock got her assist on the first goal of the game when freshman right wing Emma Woods scored on a wrist shot less than a minute into the second period.

Babstock is very proud of her accomplishment, but she has no intention of settling.

“I’m proud of it, but I want to keep scoring to help the team go deep into the playoffs,” Babstock said.

The Bobcats came out slow to start of the game, and it led to a scoreless first period.

“We started the game at RPI’s pace. Our players stepped up in the second period and began playing with a lot of energy,” Quinnipiac women’s ice hockey head coach Rick Seeley said.

Quinnipiac came out firing in the second period with the goal by Woods coming just 36 seconds into the period to make the score 1-0. Nicole Brown made the score 2-0 hitting in a one-timer dished off by Morgan Fritz-Ward with six minutes left in the period.

In the third period, junior left wing Shiann Darkangelo scored her NCAA-leading 14th goal of the season on a deflection from Brown.

The transfer from Syracuse has adjusted to the Bobcats offense, but she has her teammates to thank.

“It’s really easy to play with a teammate like Babs and score,” Darkangelo said.

Junior goalie Chelsea Laden recorded 18 saves on the day, the lone goal coming from Taylor Mahoney with seven minutes left to play in the game.

“We take a couple of minutes off during a game, and it can come back and effect the game,” Babstock said on letting up that goal.

The Bobcats improved to 14-2-5 (5-2-4 in the Eastern College Athletic Conference), and now go into a month break in their regular season.

“We’ve had a hard half of a season, so now it is time to relax, but at the same time improve on our mistakes,” coach Seeley said.

The Bobcats go back into action on January 7th against Princeton.