‘Cats devour ‘Hawks

Prior to their 2 p.m. match against the Bobcats on April 1, the Wagner Seahawks mentally prepared for the contest by taking it easy.

Playfully hitting balls in a friendly, pick-up game form with members of Wagner’s women’s tennis team, the Seahawks looked as if they were enjoying the game on a vacation resort as opposed to preparing for a pivotal Northeast Conference match.

This was perhaps the most fun they would have all afternoon.

The Quinnipiac men’s tennis team delivered a punishing sweep of the visiting Seahawks, 7-0, improving their league record to 2-0. With the victory, the Bobcats boosted their dual record to 8-4 this season. The ‘Cats are now 3-0 at their Hamden, Conn., venue this spring.

The 2004 NEC Champions got off to an early start en route to the sweep. The ‘Cats took the doubles point, cakewalking their way through all three doubles matches.

Michael Racioppo (Brooklyn, N.Y.), Stefano Salvatore (Wyckoff, N.J.), Alex Altman (Riverdale, N.Y.), and Jonathon Russo (Garden City, N.Y.) all picked up their second win of the day by capturing victories in singles action.

In singles, the Seahawks went down without putting up a fight. Racioppo defeated Steve Johnson 6-0, 6-1; Andrew Chan defeated Jeffrey Quitmeyer 6-0, 6-0; Salvatore downed Adam Amster 6-0, 6-0; Russo def. Brandon Sogluizzo 6-0, 6-0; Altman def. Mike Tutunjian 6-0, 6-0; and Greg Kreyman, a Long Beach, N.Y. product, picked up the victory by default.

In doubles action, the team of Racioppo/Salvatore was too much for the tandem of Johnson/Amster, as they won by a 9-7 margin. Scott Salway/Russo kept the shutout intact by defeating the team of Quitmeyer/Sogluizzo, 8-0, and Altman/Fabian Villacis (Derby, Conn.) finished off the afternoon with a victory by default.

Action continues for the Bobcats Sunday, as they’re slated to go against the Purple Eagles of Niagara in a non-conference match at home.