Bobcats record first win against Friars

One thing is for sure with the schedule they have going, it is not always going to be easy for the Quinnipiac men’s lacrosse team.

The Bobcats already got their first taste of what some of the stiffest competition in the Northeast region as well as the country is going to be like, dropping games to national powerhouses such as Brown, Butler, Ohio State and Stony Brook to put them in an early 0-7 hole.

On Saturday April 6, the ‘Cats proved that it is certainly not too late to turn the tide, as they clawed through the Friars of Providence College, defeating them 12-6 to earn their first victory of a season.

PC simply could not hang with the Bobcats in the second, third and fourth frames, after the Bobcats tallied just one goal in the first quarter on Leigh DiPace’s score. .

Just 1:10 into the second quarter, DiPace connected on his second goal of the day to put the Bobcats ahead by a 2-1 count.

Friar attackman Sean Nixon responded by tallying a goal to tie the score at 2 with 12:03 remaining in the second.

Quinnipiac dominated the rest of the way.

After both teams’ defenses remained sound, the Bobcats offense began to overpower the Friars. QU put together a relentless 7-1 spurt, building an insurmountable lead. Junior attackman Eddie Morley (Commack, N.Y./U.S. Naval Academy) and Jason Barratt both tallied a pair of goals to fuel the run. Junior attackman Eric Trama, one of the team’s top scorers, midfielder Mike Stottler and attackman Tucker Prudden all found the net to push the lead to 9-3 with just a hair over 10 and half minutes left to play in the third.

PC came striking back with a quick 3-0 run to make it a three-goal game. It would not be enough.

Leading scorer Josh Murray, the former All-American and Connecticut state player of the year at Cheshire High, revitalized the Bobcats’ energy with a goal which brought the lead back to four. The aforementioned Stottler and Barratt followed this up with a pair of goals to keep the lead intact and put the game out of reach for the Friars, who fell to 2-6 with the loss.

Barratt led the Bobcats’ balanced scoring attack with three goals. Goalie James Nastro (Wantagh, N.Y.), finally earned the “W,” collecting six saves on the day.

The ‘Cats have an entire week to continue to work their way back into contender form. QU is back in action Saturday, April 7, to face the Retrievers of the University of Maryland-Baltimore County. The Retrievers, an America East foe, have one of the nation’s premier scorers in junior attackman Brendan Mundorf. The Bobcats’ defense, who did a great job stifling attacks all day against the Friars, will be put to the test of keeping Mundorf in check.

The win boosts their confidence as more America East action lies ahead. The ‘Cats hope to spring back from the rugged start.