Wreck: Online ticket mayhem

The anxiety was mounting over the most anticipated men’s ice hockey game of the season, and Quinnipiac’s student body swarmed to BobcatNet in hopes of scoring a coveted ticket to the QU vs. Yale game. With seconds to 10 p.m., fingers were poised over the keyboards, waiting to generate the ticket, but when the time finally came many students were left with nothing but disappointment.

Since TD Bank Sports Center no longer accepts Q-Cards to regulate attendance, students are forced to print online tickets if they wish to see a game. As a result, there was a mad rush for students to setup their online ticket portals on Nov. 4 to see if they would be lucky enough to score the golden ticket into the event of the semester.

As expected, the student tickets were sold-out within minutes. Many hopefuls experienced technical difficulties including a slow network and crashed website, and as a result were left without tickets. The results were random, and those who lost the ticket battle were obliged to beg and bargain to have this luxury.

Aside from the ridiculousness that students would be denied the chance to support their home team, this system now turns the students against one another. An outrage boomed on social media that lasted hours and days after the ticket sales. The privileged ones who had a ticket jumped on the opportunity to cash out on other’s disappointment and desperation.

Avid hockey fans who weren’t able to score tickets were livid over the fact that many students who did get them only did so to fit in, and ultimately sold their tickets or attended the game as nothing but a social event.

Despite the few kind individuals who gave away their tickets for no compensation, tickets were going for at least double the amount a non-student ticket price would be, an extremely exaggerated price when the game can be seen for free on a television.