Yale game ticket battle begins

The Battle on Whitney Avenue will continue on Saturday, Nov. 9 at the TD Bank Sports Center, where the men’s ice hockey team will face Yale for the first time since the 2013 Frozen Four Finals. While the team prepares to take on its rival, students across campus are getting ready to click “Get student tickets” as quickly as humanly possible.

Student tickets for this season’s QU vs. Yale game go on sale Monday, Nov. 4 at 10 p.m. In the past, the nearly 1,200 student tickets available have sold out in under two minutes, according to Executive Director of TD Bank Sports Center Eric Grgurich.

After the rivalry between Quinnipiac and Yale was heightened during the Frozen Four, Grgurich expects this year’s tickets will go in the same amount of time.

“Last year’s game was pretty popular, and I believe it was because we were number one at the time,” Grgurich said. “I expect that this year’s game will be very similar to last year’s.”

Tickets on sale to the public on Oct. 1 sold out especially fast this year, according to Grgurich.

“We probably have about 2,300 tickets available to the public, and those went within the first day,” Grgurich said. “In the past, they have usually gone within the first week.”

Tickets are now available on StubHub for between $70 to $235.

Sophomore Nicolette Drakos, who got her student ticket to last year’s game, said she hopes to get a ticket once again this season.

“I will definitely try to get tickets,” Drakos said. “I think the most exciting part will be seeing our team get far again.”

Since tickets for the QU vs. Yale hockey games have always been in high demand, according to Grgurich, an additional 200 students will be able to attend the game for free this year.

“We don’t want to ever charge students to get into the game, and we held an extra 200 tickets aside this year because this will be a popular game,” Grgurich said.

Although Grgurich said he hopes to never charge students for these tickets provided by the university, he said he is fully aware that students often sell these free tickets to make a little extra cash.

“Students see this as an opportunity to make money, but they’re taking these tickets away from someone else who actually wants them,” Grgurich said. “I can see both sides of it, but I’m hoping students don’t do that.”

Drakos, like Grgurich, said she can also see both sides of students selling their free tickets to make a profit.

“I think it’s unfair, but it’s also smart because people are willing to pay for the tickets,” Drakos said.