Wreck: BBM brought back from the dead

2003 called. It wants its BlackBerry Messenger back.

It seems that, in the effort to revive themselves, BlackBerry has taken initiative to get people talking about their company again. They have recently launched a new app for iPhone and Android users that enables customers to use their popular feature BlackBerry Messenger (BBM).

According to BlackBerry’s website, “BBM is the best way to connect and share instant messages, pictures and more for free in real time.”

I’m sure we’re all wondering the same thing here so I’ll just go out and say it: why?

Seriously, I don’t get it. Maybe it will get people to think about the brand again, but BlackBerry is literally giving the best feature of their phones away for free. If they just give it away why would anyone in their right mind bother to actually buy the phone?

Not to mention the fact that it’s such a weird marketing technique. I’m not a business major, but I still don’t see how this is going to improve the company’s financial situation or how it’s supposed to get people to buy an actual BlackBerry phone.

A poll conducted by cnet.com earlier this month showed that 73 percent of more than 13,000 voters said they do not believe it is the end of the road for BlackBerry as a company.

Perhaps the rest of the world has more faith in BlackBerrys than me. Personally, I think they were great while they lasted, but it’s an old idea that no longer works. If the puzzle doesn’t fit, don’t force it. Try something new, BlackBerry. At least the company was strong enough to stay away from mimicking the iPhone.