Anas lifts Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey to sixth-straight victory

Coming into Saturday night’s game against Holy Cross at High Point Solutions Arena, freshman Sam Anas led the Quinnipiac men’s ice hockey team with four goals on the season.

Anas scored the late go-ahead goal the night before at Hart Recreation Center, propelling the Bobcats to a 4-2 win over the Crusaders.

He added two more to that total in the second half of the home-and-home series, coming just inches shy of a hat trick as he hit the post late in the third period, as Quinnipiac extended its win streak to six games by defeating Holy Cross 4-1.

“It was a good win, I’m very proud of our guys,” Quinnipiac head coach Rand Pecknold said. “We got a little adversity tonight being down 1-0 early, but we battled back and won the hockey game. We’re happy with that.”

Holy Cross struck first less than five minutes into the opening period. Freshman forward Mike Barrett found the back of the net amidst a scrum out in front, giving the Crusaders a 1-0 advantage. It was Barrett’s first goal of the season.

Quinnipiac held a 19-7 shot advantage through the first period, but couldn’t capitalize on its chances. Perhaps the best chance came with 2:35 left in the period, when Kellen Jones zipped a one-timer toward the goal from the left side of the net. Holy Cross netminder Matt Ginn made a blocker save, keeping the lead intact.

Quinnipiac would tie it up in the second period. Anas skated down the near side and blasted it glove–side past Ginn, tying the game only 5:18 into the second period. Kellen Jones was credited with the assist.

“I’m just shooting the puck, trying not to overthink it,” Anas said. “If you keep shooting, it’s got to go in at some point. My linemates have been great, we’ve just really meshed no matter who it is.”

Less than five minutes later, Anas would strike again. The goal came 10:04 second into the period on a power play, and gave Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead. Connor Jones was credited with the assist.

It was Anas’ fifth goal in the last three games.

“He’s been great.,” Pecknold said. “He’s just playing his game, learning how to compete. He obviously has the skill. I’m very happy with the way he played this weekend, defensively as well.”

Quinnipiac goalie Michael Garteig took care of the rest. He allowed only the one early goal and made 17 saves.

Bryce Van Brabant added some insurance only 4:20 into the final period, scoring on a feed from Kellen Jones to make it 3-1. It was the Bobcats second power-play goal of the evening.

Travis St. Denis would later collect an empty-net goal, making it 4-1.

With the win, Quinnipiac improves to 6-1. The Bobcats travel to Colgate and Cornell, respectively, next Friday and Saturday night.